question

davidb avatar image
davidb asked

Easy solar 2 GX

I am thinking of getting a Easy solar 2 GX for my off grid caravan. I will have 1250w solar array, and DCDC charging from vehicle alternator. Do I need a smart shunt or will the GX device give me all the info on my VRM remote console?

gx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@DavidB If you planing to use LFP batteries SmartShunt would be good idea.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davidb avatar image
davidb answered ·

Thanks@marekp, yes using Lithium batteries. And can i connect the smart shunt direct to the easy solar?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Smart shunt has a VE Direct connection to the EasySolar. You'll need the cable. But which batteries? Some, like Pylontech, give all the needed information from the BMS and control the EasySolar charging, making the shunt unnecessary. Finding out which batteries give the information that comes from the shunt is tricky, unless you have a knowledgeable dealer. Might be an idea to factor this in.

The Orion DC:DC chargers are not controlled by the shunt or BMS, but if you have solar plus alternator, solar will be regulated to keep charge within expected parameters.

2 |3000