question

brad-mc avatar image
brad-mc asked

Running two buck-boosts - only one will work at a time

Hi There,

i have a catamaran with 12 alternators. However i have a 24v system for storage, charging and heavy loads, so I run 2 x 100amp buck-boosts to convert the alternator output to 24 volts.

Cabling is independent for each engine and looks a little like this.

Cabling from the alternator runs via an argofet (100-2) to the engine start and to the buck-boost input (12v) via a fuse.

The buck-boost output (24v) is then connected to the 24v Lynx distributor, which (working backwards) goes via the lynx smart BMS and then the batteries.

My issue is that the buck boosts run fine on their own, ie only one engine is running, but when both engines are running one of them will not 'turn on'.

So if i have the port engine running and then turn on the starboard, the starboard buck boost will test for input voltage, then flick on and then immediately off and then run its blocking delay.. and repeat.

Does any one have any advice on why this might be.

Lithium BatteryOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
carlrx7 avatar image
carlrx7 answered ·

Remove the output of one of the converters and see if they both turn on. That will isolate if its a turn on or turn off issue. can you post a wire diagram?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.