question

kdjuflusd avatar image
kdjuflusd asked

What happens when grid meter loses connection to GX device

Dear all,

I read a little bit about this case but I'm not completely sure what happens in this specific case:

In case having an ESS with 3 Multiplus II (3-phase system). Everything is connected on AC-in (all consumers as well as Fronius pv-inverter) and a Grid Meter is connected via Ethernet to the GX-device.

Under normal circumstances everything should work fine.

When Powerloss happens, also ethernet-switches will power of in this case - in this situation the GX-device won't have a connection to the grid-meter anymore.

Everywhere I read, that Multiplus will go into passthrough-mode when connection is lost - but in this case there won't be pass-through because there is no power at AC-in anymore.

Now my question - will the ESS in this situation still work on AC-OUT or will it shut down completely? Normally it should notice that there is no voltage on AC-IN and therefore gridmeter isn't needed anymore - as long as AC-IN is without grid-voltage.

Thanks a lot for your help.

ESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

It effectively becomes an off-grid inverter and provides power on AC OUT.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kdjuflusd avatar image kdjuflusd commented ·

Thanks a lot - I only read that Multiplus switches to passthrough when connection to gridmeter is lost.

It's perfect when it switches to off-grid-inverter mode in this case instead of powering off completely.

I just wanted to be sure before buying Multiplus and gridmeter :-)

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza commented ·

If you have not installed a system before I do recommend the following documents. Even if you are not doing the install yourself it is a good idea "referring" the documents to whoever does! :)

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/The_Wiring_Unlimited_book/43562-Wiring_Unlimited-pdf-en.pdf
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

0 Likes 0 ·