question

imperator69 avatar image
imperator69 asked

How Many MPPT or Solar Power can be used after a Multiplus II 3000 / 48V with Battery?

I have the following set-up (extract):

1 CERBO GX

1 Multiplus II 3000 48

48V Battery (3x 3,5kWh Pylontec)

and now 3 MPPT with 1kW, 2kW and yet extra 2kW solar power peak.

As the mutliplus can roughly transport 2kVA to the grid, the CERBO needs to "eliminate" the extra power by reducing the power on the MPPT's.

Now in the worst case:

- Battery 100% loaded

- Changing from cloudy to full sun and the 3 MPPT can generate 5 kW @jump responce of power increase

Now my question:

- Can the CERBO + Battery (BMS) + MP II can handle the 5kW ?

- Up to which "power rate" does the System can handle this without harming the battery (overvoltage?) or other parts ? Were is the limit on the DC solar power reached?

In mechanics we talk about "moment/inertia ratio" for a perfect system, how is it defined here @Virctron solar power on the DC side?

Thanks a lot

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllerscerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming correctly configured/connected.

BMS controls the MPPTs and multiplus through the Cerbo.

BMS sets the charge rate, so large arrays will not result in a charge current that is too high for the batteries.

When batteries close to full BMS reduces the charge rate.

When batteries full BMS stops the charging.

Inertia shouldn't be a problem due to the reducing charge rate as the batteries fill.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Do you want to feed in?

As mentioned before, the Pylontech Batteries will shutdown the SmartSolar MPPT but if you want to continue to feed-in the 2,4kW from the MultiPlus-II the configuration of the system become a little bit complex.

I have a customer with a similar situation but with three MultiPlus-II 48/3000, a RS 45/200 fully equipedwith 12kWp solarpanels and 50kW of Pylontech batteries and I was unable to tell the Cerbo GX if the Batteries are at least 95% full to feed-in up to 7kW-3P (authorised)

Hence currently my customer is waising a lot of energy because of the Pylontech batteries which take control over everything. (I hate this type of BMS)

Hence i am interested in a solution too.

2 |3000

imperator69 avatar image
imperator69 answered ·

Hello Michelle,

Yes I do (want to ) feed in, but not necesserely all.

I have installed more PV power for the "winter" time to fill the battery also in wintertime (will be changed to a off-grid Car charging station later (during summer time)).

It does work since 3 days @not so good weather :-), so I have to handle 2...3kW after batteries have been charged. But I may have to deal with max. 5kW once the weather will be perfect.

Surely all 3 MPPT can be controlled down to zero watts by the CERBO, my concerns are more how fast this will be in order not to harm battery or multiplus. In theory it does work...

BTW, I found on the data sheet the following power figures for my multiplus II 3000 230V 48V:

a.) Maximale offenkundige Einspeiseleistung 3000
b.) Spitzenleistung 5500 W
But I cannot say what they mean, which power rates here are applied.

And if the MPPT can control e.g. 5kW, it should be possible to control even more? And if yes: How much? :-)

Thanks a lot once more

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
a.) Maximale offenkundige Einspeiseleistung 3000

This is, what you feed into the Grid per 3000VA inverter

b.) Spitzenleistung 5500 W

This is, what the Inverter can deliver on ACout MAX for a very short period.

Hence if your Solarpanels can deliver 5000W, the batteries are full and you have no load at all, you can feed to the Grid 3000W and the ESS assistant will reduce the Solarpower to that.

If you switch on an ACout load of e.G. 1000W, the Inverter will reduce the feedin to 2000W, because it need the other 1000W for the AC load.

In general it make sense, to install a small GTI (not more then 3kWp, e.G. 8-9 panels of 310Wp) on ACout because it is more efficient with AC loads and you can use more power then 3000W becsuse the GTI deliver direct to the LOAD.

The MPPTs can still charge the battety or feed the Grid.

Example:

AC load 2000W

PV power on GTI 3000W

-> Multiplus hasvto handle 1000W feed in

PV on MPPT 2000W

-> Multiplus add it to the feed-in

Hence you CAN use 100% of the 5000Wp Solarpanels

Since I have currently only one MultiPlus-II 24/5000 I do the same with a Fronius Primo 3.7 and get the power added to the Multiplus

1 Like 1 ·
wilm avatar image
wilm answered ·

@Imperator69

I have a MP II 3000/48 as well and my total installed panels with 3 MPPTs are 8kWp.
I can't speak for Pylontech, but I am using a Seplos BMS and there was no trouble during summertime. CerboGx switches complete MPPTs off, when the generated power is enought for the system. If the batteries are completely charged, CerboGX throttles the power down, so there is no overpower-issue.

Hope that helps,
Wilm

2 |3000

imperator69 avatar image
imperator69 answered ·

Hello Wilm,

yes this does help and lets me sleeper better now - definitely :-)

Your setup in your well appreciated answer leads me to a second Question to your setup: For my off-Grid Car charging station I would like to build my own Battery (approx 15kWh). You mentioned a SEPLOS BMS. Is this like here: https://lichtex.de/SEPLOS-CAN-BUS-2_0-BMS-8-16S-LiFePO4-Batterie-Management-System-24V-36V-48V-100A-150A-200A-LFP ?
Do you have an extra balancer? Anything extra?

For the CAN communication with CERBO do you need anything extra (Hardware-/Software protocol etc.)?

Thanks a lot for your help and looking now forward for the next project (I then will change the 3K Multiplus to a 5K multiplus at home and use the old one 3K for the Car charging station...)

Jochen

2 |3000

wilm avatar image
wilm answered ·

Hi Jochen,
I have ordered a complete Seplos-Mason 280Ah box from China without cells. Those were obtained from the well known shop in the Nederlands. As the balancer in those, Seplos BMS's is a little bit to small, there is enought space to place a NEEE (Heltec) active balancer in the housing. You need a self wired CAT5-cable, so search for Offgrid-Garage on youtube. Andy has made several good videos for the CAN-Bus-cableing.

Best Wishes,
Liebe Grüße,

Wilm

2 |3000