question

kp4djt avatar image
kp4djt asked

Monitor battery temp

I need to monitor the battery temperature at remote sites. Here is a picture of one of the sites

1698860432711.png

The equipment is in the white box below the solar panel, The battery is in the black box at left of tower base. That box is being changed for and insulated box which will be placed in the ground. I need to monitor the battery temperature. The battery will have a heater on it, but want to monitor the temperature and switch the heater in and out.

Here is a image of the inside of the equipment box

1698860605229.png

The MPPT 75/15 carries the system well, but with the advent of winter we need to get the battery protected. I am trying to figure out what else I need to monitor the battery temperature

Here is a drawing of the solar parts in the box. The RPi is powered by a 24v to 5v PSU

aredn-site-solar.png

What I am trying to figure out is what I need to add in order to monitor the battery temp. It will need a cable about 6ft long to reach the battery box below. BLUETOOTH and WIFI will not work, these are metal boxes. And the battery will end up underground.

Temperature Sensor
1698860432711.png (1.1 MiB)
1698860605229.png (1003.1 KiB)
aredn-site-solar.png (783.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kp4djt avatar image
kp4djt answered ·

I forgot, I am monitoring the rest of the system through the VenusOS/RPi. So I assume whatever I need will go through there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Search for the terms temperature measurement pi

Which will return several threads on this subject including

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/107744/raspberry-pi-venus-os-fridge-temperature-sensor.html

which includes some ideas on setting up wired sensors.

a wild idea, could you add a Ruuvi Bluetooth temperature sensor onto the battery and have a TP link UB400 Bluetooth dongle in the battery box wired back to the larger cabinet with all the other cables as Venus OS now supports Ruuvi sensors.

2 |3000

kp4djt avatar image
kp4djt answered ·

Thank you I shall investigate.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor