question

andrea-m avatar image
andrea-m asked

Upgrading battery from AGM to LiFEPO4 - charger question

Hi all,
And thank you in advance for any info you will share.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2013 Nissan Navara pick up which is fitted with a bimobil Husky 240 removable cabin.

The current leisure batter is a 210Ah Gel battery, which I intend to replace with a 200Ah LiFePO4.
Current charging options include solar (mppt, non-victron), shore (unknown charger) and alternator (unknown charger).
I would like to replace the current mppt with a Victron bluetooth unit - which I already used with satisfaction in a previous van conversion - and if I find out that I have a smart alternator, I'd have to install an Orion DC-DC unit.
I will basically never use shore charging as solar/alternator are my primary charging sources.

My question is: if I wire the Orion straight from the starter battery/alternator to the leisure battery, how will this interact with the factory battery when driving?
Do I have to ensure that I disable the factory charger first?

I will pick up the vehicle in the coming weeks and will be able to provide more info on all components soon, but hopefully some of you can already provide some sort of guidance.

Thanks in advance :)

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers