question

James Mayo avatar image
James Mayo asked

2x Orion 12/12-30 (Isolated) in parallel very slow to charge

Hi guys, I have two Orion DC-DC chargers (12/12-30) in my camper van (2020 RAM ProMaster) than run in parallel using 6AWG. They’re connected to the van’s stater battery and to a Lynx distributor that connects to the house batteries (which are 3x 190ah LiFePO4 batteries connected in parallel). As you can see in the images, I’m only getting ~30 amps max between the two Orion units when battery SOC is quite low. I’ve never seen them pull any higher, no where near 60 amps. Firmware on them is the latest version v1.13.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I really need to get closer to the 60 amps they’re rated for (being 30 amps each).

img-5983.png

orion-tr smartorion dc-dcalternator
img-5983.png (402.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I see significant voltage differences for each device in your screen shots. In one case, one Orion is in absorption while the other is in bulk. This suggests a review of your wiring but without a diagram we must guess.

My first thought is that the wires between the charging sources (the two Orions and the MPPT) are fairly long and larger than #6 may be necessary. The best approach is to locate these charging devices close to the batteries.

Also look at the wiring between batteries. Are they large enough?Are they connected in a star configuration with equal length/size wires between them?

Another thought is that the Orions are throttling themselves in order to keep the incoming voltage above the preset value. This is handled in the engine shutdown detection configuration. Refer to second 5 of the manual. Probably best to disable it in your case. This does require an external connection to turn the Orions on and off though so if that's not the case, you'll need to tweak settings and hope you can find a balance between charging current and shutting down when the engine isn't running.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

James Mayo avatar image James Mayo commented ·

Thank you for your reply.

They’re wired in parallel with the same length wiring. They cannot be moved closer to the starter battery, although the 6AWG cables are sufficient for their distance from the starter. They’re wired into the system correctly using a Lynx distributor as mentioned. The rest of the system works flawlessly. These Orion’s are installed and configured correctly but they still don’t produce their rated capacity. I can post additional screenshots or pictures of any other information that may be helpful.

The batteries use proper size wiring with the same length used between batteries. They’re wired in parallel with the positive coming in through battery #1 and the negative coming in through battery #3.

Everything is done adhering to the proper specifications and following best practices, including things like a DC disconnect for the solar wiring.

I know people have had similar issues in the past with Orions having a low amp charge that was corrected with a firmware update (after reading other threads on this Victron board) - I’m hoping Victron can chime in to assist with further diagnostics.

Edit to add: The MPPT and Orions are located directly above the lithium house batteries, I meant I cannot move the Orions any closer to the starter battery - although as mentioned the 6AWG is suitable for the distance between the starter battery and the Orions. The system’s wiring meets the guidelines set out in all the equipment manuals. The MPPT works just fine. The only issue is the under charging of the Orions. A google search shows this issue is not uncommon, I’m hoping Victron are able to chime in - I may just need to send them an email.

The auto shutdown voltage is set to the default 13.5V, I’ll drop it to 13V before tomorrow’s drive and see if that has an impact.

1 Like 1 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack James Mayo commented ·
It seems, the voltage settings maybe different, because

The first Orion is in "Absorbtion" and

the second Orion is in "Bulk".

0 Likes 0 ·
James Mayo avatar image James Mayo Michelle Konzack commented ·
The settings are confirmed the same, not sure why one went into absorption early.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack James Mayo commented ·
I had such problem at a customer (he has two BlueSolar 150/50) and for testig, I have put a wire bridge of only 1,5sqmm between the two PLUS battery connectors at the two BlueSolar and a second wire bridge between the two MINUS battery connectors....

...and the problem wad mostly gone.

It is simply a little bit tollerance in the cable/wire resistance or the connectors (I use ENSTO Kontactfat to prevent corrosion) of 50-100mV which let the MPPT,s act different.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem James Mayo commented ·
Because the Orions have no way to sense battery voltage other than what is measured at their output terminals, they should be located as close as possible to the battery bank. Any voltage drop in the wires from the Orion to the battery will upset it's view of the true battery voltage and can account for differences in charging mode as seen in the first screen shot.

Besides the shutdown voltage, make sure the engine shutdown parameters are not getting in the way of reducing charging current.

0 Likes 0 ·
James Mayo avatar image James Mayo Kevin Windrem commented ·

The Orions are located about 1’ above the lithium house batteries, so the connection is very close.

I wasn’t able to test it today with the lowered shutdown voltage of 13v (as opposed to the default 13.5v) as the batteries were at 100% from the RV we stayed at last night. We’re boondocking tonight so tomorrow I’ll be able to check the Orions charging on the road.

0 Likes 0 ·
James Mayo avatar image
James Mayo answered ·

Update for anyone that comes across this post:

I turned the auto-off voltage down from 13.5V to 13V and that did increase the amps they charge at to about ~40 amps, which is 30% more than the ~30 amps I was getting previously.

Today my batteries (570ah of LiFePO4) were at about 45% when I started driving and I was getting up to around 50 amps of DC-DC charging, although it didn’t last that long and eventually it went down to the ~40 amps. I’m not sure what the issue is. I’ve checked all the wiring and settings, everything is correct and done to specification.

I must say, I am quite disappointed here as I was expecting to get closer to the 60 amps these are rated for (the two 30 amp chargers in parallel). In hindsight, I wish I’d gone with the 60 amp Sterling unit.

1 comment
2 |3000

badwolf avatar image badwolf commented ·

Take the 30A output with a grain of salt. They have a rated output of 360watts when at 40C but derate 1.5% every 1C above 40C

If you have the absorb voltage at 14v your max amps will be ~25a

I had a triple Orion setup, even with fans the average output was 72amps/1000w.

How you connected the wires determines which tricks the other out of bulk first. If you’re stacking lugs, the outermost will go into absorb/float first.

0 Likes 0 ·