question

Diriye Amey avatar image
Diriye Amey asked

Question about smart alternator FIAT / Peugeot and Victron Orion DC / DC

Good morning,

I have a motorhome with Pegeut Boxer engine year 2022, it has a smart alternator, and I have Victron lithium battery and Orion DC/DC.

As you can see from the engine battery graph, the alternator during the two hours of running hardly charged the engine battery, or at least it almost never reached 14 volts of charge.

The Orion is set up correctly (Lithium battery and alternator smart, with 14 volt charge defaults)

The Orion when the engine battery reaches 14 volts of charge by the engine battery starts its charge, the problem that the alternator rarely reaches 14 volts and if it reaches for a very short time, then it goes back to a voltage of 12 to 13 volts.

In your opinion is the alternator's behavior normal?

Also Is it necessary to lower the charging value of the Orion to a lower voltage?

starter-battery.jpg

orion-tr smartorion dc-dcalternator
starter-battery.jpg (163.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

That's the way smart alternators work.

I'd lower the start voltage as you suggest. Maybe as low as 12.7V. Just make sure the cut out voltage is above the resting voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charlie-v avatar image
charlie-v answered ·

Hi, Had problems same as this post. I tried kevgermany's reply. problem solved. Great stuff guys, thank you.

2 |3000