question

boatman avatar image
boatman asked

Multiplus ii 48/5000 70mm2 cable??

I am slightly confused as to why it states 70mm2 cable connection when the charger is rated at 70amp. I am off grid and sourcing 70mm2 is nearly impossible. My battery bank 3x Polyontech us5000 states 25mm cables which I can get.

I will probably parallel another 48/5000 later so the cable sizes are important

Any comments welcome as I might have miss read the documents

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
ty-web avatar image
ty-web answered ·

It does seem a bit large, but Its all based on distance, the longer the run the bigger the diameter. I have been running mine on 35mmsq when the PV Ac coupled is pushing max watts and the Multi is pumping 65Amps to the battery the cable gets luke warm. Ambient's have been around the mid 20s and the length is around half a meter to the bus bar, where two battery banks connect.(Also 35mmsq)

I have just over night upgraded to a Lynx unit and rerun all the cables through 100mm duct, to tidy up the install. I have also upgraded to 50mmsq as the lengths were just under a meter each as I am parrallelng two units now. Our Ambient's do get to 45 mid summer, hence the second unit to cope with the load and a cable upgrade for same reason.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your multi will draw much more than its charging current from the battery. Around 100A. Your batteries will take one third each. Cable length, voltage drop and heat are also important.

If you wire the Pylons with their standard layout (battery to battery to battery to multi) you are on the limit of those cables and they will get hot.

That said, I've used 50mm and with full AC charging and an MPPT running about 150A there's only moderate warming.

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@Boatman i wouldnt be using pylontechs guidance on the connec to the multiplus. Victron states clearly 70mm2 or if like me you couldn’t get a good 70mm2 go for the 120mm2 which is also recommended by Victron you don’t want to undersize DC cable it can go wrong pretty fast

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Boatman

Also the pylon cables have a special insulation on them that allow them to run hot without fear of fire. Check their amp rating not diameter..

The same goes for all cables. 70mm fine strand has more current ability that coarse strand.

But heat means energy lost so all in all not desired.

1 Like 1 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

Just to add my 2p worth - the Multiplus-II can run continually at just over 100A of battery current but in an off grid setup I believe it can peak at 9000w which is somewhere around 180A. It can only sustain 9000w for a very short time (15 seconds maybe?) but I think this is why the recommended fuse rating is 200A.

Also, since the inverter fuse is 200A, really you should be using wire that can handle a fault current at that level so 25mm2 isn't really sufficient, even if you used the same high temperature insulation that Pylontech use on their cables.

Lastly, as @Alexandra said, any heat in the cables is energy that you are losing so my view is to use the largest cable which is supported by the inverter. In this case that is 70mm2. I wouldn't recommend cable larger than 70mm2 because you'll have difficulty getting it onto the battery terminals on the inverter and you risk placing too much stress on those terminals and breaking them.

I bought my cable here in the UK from here ( https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/extra-flexible-tinned-copper-pvc-battery-cable-70mm-485a.html ) and they say they can offer international delivery so if you are stuck then it might be an option. Note that it's important to use fine strand cable rather than solid core or multi-core in this application. HTH

4 comments
2 |3000

rvicev avatar image rvicev commented ·
Fully agreed, fuse is there to protect (a.o.) the cable.

But as @ty-web mentions cable length must be included in the picture .... If I remember correctly, the Victron spec is 70 mm2 up to 5 m cable length. But 200A over 5 m is a different story than 200A over 1 m cable.

If you follow the specs of the cable supplier you refer to, you can get away with 50 mm2 and even 35 mm2 (but not 25 mm2), provided the cable is short. Simply use a voltage drop calculator : calculate the voltage drop using 200A over 70 mm2 at 5 m length, if your cable is shorter and you can get a similar or even lower voltage drop using 50 mm2 than that should be fine.

But a short cable of 70 mm2 isn´t wrong of course, as it will give an even lower voltage drop.
0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al rvicev commented ·
Or @Boatman could use pairs of cable for positive and negative for example 2 x 35mm2 for each. Just make sure they are exactly the same lengths.
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain rvicev commented ·

Yes 70mm2 is for 0-5m and 120mm2 is for 5-10m but I would hope that most installations can manage to keep under the 5m length. In my own installation my 70mm2 cables from bus bar to inverter are probably around 400mm and yet they still warm up a bit at full load. I think most of this heat comes from the connections to the isolator switch though.

img-7927.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-7927.jpeg (2.5 MiB)
daniel-feist avatar image daniel-feist rvicev commented ·
We used 50mm2. Length from inverter to lynx distributor is < 1m and length from lynx power-in to batteries is <2m. 50mm2 is fine for the 180A peak inverter load, and the voltage drop is less than 70mm2 would be over 5m (recommended as max by Victron)
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

Keep to the letter of the victron manual then you can't go wrong i struggled to get 70mm2 so i said to the Victron suppler that i could get 90mm2 which would be better than the 70mm2 i was told nope only the two sized cables are approved 70mm2 and 120mm2 so i opted for the latter.

The latter is not without complication which can be fixed easy enough by shaving down the sides of the eyelets that connect the cable to the Multiplus2, @Craig Chamberlain is correct the cable is heavy but as long as a clamp is placed on the wire so it isn't hanging free weight of the entire cable then there is no issues using this cable size as its as spec by victron just a bit more work and a massive crimping tool needed lol.

img-3984.jpeg
looped then clamped to take the weight,

img-4032.jpeg

img-3984.jpeg (2.2 MiB)
img-4032.jpeg (3.2 MiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Yeah, you're right that 120mm2 is one of the two recommended options by Victron in the manual, but even the 70mm2 cable is rated at 485A nominal current which is nearly 5x the normal maximum continuous rating of the inverter. So, in line with the recommendation from Victron, I would only suggest using 120mm2 for cable lengths of between 5m and 10m. I personally wouldn't be happy filing down the 120/8 crimp either so hopefully there is a more compact crimp out there which can fit without modification for those that do need 120mm2 cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image rvicev commented ·
The whole point I was trying to make - but apparently not succesfully - is that you can be compliant to the Victron spec with a smaller cable, provided that it is short enough and you arrive at a similar or even lower voltage drop than with 70 mm2.
0 Likes 0 ·
Is that true though? Victron don't specify the cable CSA in terms of voltage drop, they specify it in terms of cable length. 0-5m => 70mm2 and 5-10m => 120mm2. I understand where you are coming from but I just don't think it's worth deviating from recommended cable specs unless there is a significant reason to do so. "Engineering judgement" should always be a factor IMO but there should be a very clear reason to deviate from manufacturer's recommendations. Voltage drop is only one consequence of cable CSA reduction and perhaps not even the most important one.
0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image rvicev Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Again I failed explaining myself : it is definitely NOT a deviation from manufacturer´s recommendations.

Victron only specified max 5m length for 70 mm2. They did not specify a maximum length for 50 mm2 (but they could have done ). They did not specify a maximum cable length for 35 mm2 (but they could have done, and 35 mm2 cable able to support > 200 A exists, as your suppier shows). They did not specify the cable type / quality either (but they could have done).

They simply provided guidelines for cable dimensioning and left the rest to common engineering sense. And you should use that.-
1 Like 1 ·
I understand what you're saying, and as a graduate in electronics and electrical engineering, I understand the adiabatic equation and ohms law and physics in general. However, the fact is that Victron only mention two recommended cable sizes in the product manual based on <5m and 5-10m length. You can extrapolate this all you want based on perfectly valid scientific methods but that doesn't make 35mm2 cable a "manufacturer's recommended" cable size. So I personally WOULD count this as a deviation from manufacturer's recommendations.

Just my opinion though and if for some reason I could source the recommended size then I would apply engineering judgement and do the calculations to figure out an alternative approach. But I'd be more inclined to switch to a cable size between 70 and 120mm2 rather than go below 70 or above 120mm2.
1 Like 1 ·
rbh avatar image
rbh answered ·

Good timing, I came here with the same question. The Quattro manual has the same specs. When I do a VDI calc using 200 amps, 10 ft, 50 volts, and 2% voltage drop, the result is to use 4 AWG wire, which has a CSA of 21.2 mm2. The VE manual seems very conservative. VDI calc from https://www.altestore.com/diy-solar-resources/wire-sizing-tool-for-12-24-and-48-volt-dc-systems/

Part of the reduction is the difference between 10 ft and 5 m (16.5 ft), but not that much.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Depends on what quattro you are referring to here. If it is the older models, with the inductance of the big transformers I side you need bigger gauge wires.

The inverter type and design also affects wire gauge choice not always the amps for perceived 'loads'.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbh avatar image rbh Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It’s a new Quattro 48/5000/70. Back calculating, it appears that Victron is using a 1% voltage drop in their recommendations. No worries, I’m reusing my 4/0 cables from the previous 24V system. That should hold.
0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image
1234enough answered ·

Look at it this way, if u are pulling 5000w(48/5000 will easily do this)and you use a cable with a 2% loss , you effectively have a 100w heating element in the form of your cable.

Personally that is not acceptable to me.

I have 48/5000 mp with 70mm approx 700mm in lenght and at full chat (@ 60v - 18S lipo4)the cables get slightly warm. Apart from full chat cables remain at virtually ambient temp.

Yes a smaller cable would more than likely survive, but would heat up considerably more - choice is up to the individual.

2 comments
2 |3000

rbh avatar image rbh commented ·

The 100 W heating element description is very good, it finally makes sense. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
1234enough avatar image 1234enough rbh commented ·
That's the benefit of chat forums such as this, some give a technical answer with lots of equations/ science ( which is good for understanding/ having the science for a given issue ), but sometimes just needs answering with what is happening in basic ways.

Any % losses are generally in the form of heat, and heat generally is not to the good or longevity of electrical circuits.

0 Likes 0 ·
boatman avatar image
boatman answered ·

Thanks for your answers, it is nice to have second opinions. I am installing a "full blown" off grid system for a 5 bed house and It sometimes gets complicated

1 comment
2 |3000

1234enough avatar image 1234enough commented ·
Keep us informed of how you get on.

It's not complicated when broken down into the individual parts, gets a bit more tricky integrating the individual parts together.

Grasp the basics before trying to run or a plethora of unneeded bits will be left, once you realise you have the wrong bits.

For instance I thought a ANL 200A fuse was a suitable fuse, but oh no should be a class T , oh well lesson learnt and ANL fuse sold on fleebay.

0 Likes 0 ·
boatman avatar image
boatman answered ·

So for information

min 8 hours sun per day 365 days a year almost guaranteed

10 x 550 watt panels

all panels individually fused with 20amp in a distribution box.

Feeding 2 x 250/100 mppt tr chargers

4 x pythonteck us5000 batteries and.......

2 x 48/5000/70 inverters

Charger function on 48/5000 is turned off

And of course a GX colour control (ha ha)

2 |3000

shockbroker avatar image
shockbroker answered ·

Given you have three batteries in parallel and can source 25mm2 then the solution, imho, is simply to wire each battery to the MultiPlus with its own 25mm2 wires, preferably all of equal length. You may need a small bus bar at the MultiPlus end.

2 |3000