question

pda1 avatar image
pda1 asked

Multiplus- make it not charge batteries?

I've got a Multiplus 24 2000 and it works very well.

The problem I'm having is I lose all of the solar generated energy at the end of the day (let's say 2 kW) after switching from "Inverter" to "On". "On" will fully charge the battery and supply AC loads simultaneously and using the grid costs money especially to charge the batteries. I'm gaining nothing energy-wise as at the end of the day as the Multi fully charges the batteries thus offsetting any solar gain. It would be best if the batteries weren't fully charged at the end of the day.

How can charging be prevented regardless of battery SOC or voltage? I just want to shut the charging function off, at will, to prevent the grid from recharging the batteries once I select "On" using the Cerbo.

I think the ideal would be to run on inverter throughout the day and then at the end of the day (no more sun) switch to Grid but let the batteries remain at whatever charge level they are at the end of the day then let the following day's sun charge them back up.

So, what I'm trying to prevent is the multi charging the batteries unless I tell it to (hopefully that can be done using the Cerbo (I have Venus on Raspberry).

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's an ignore AC input that you can turn on.

In the GX settings, select the multiplus, it's under advanced.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pda1 avatar image pda1 commented ·
Yes, it's there but it can't be changed. Presently it's set to "No"
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ pda1 commented ·

It can be changed. Might be your level of login.

See access level in the configuration section of the manual. Password can be found with Google.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@PDA1

If this is a fixed/permanent installation, you can set up ESS.

If it is not, then you can completely disable the internal charger with the MK3 or set a very low charge amps value.

You could also play with the charge current control assistant, it is voltage based 0-4v and you can set steps for the charge to be on slow or off.

2 |3000

Sten avatar image
Sten answered ·

In the new firmware for the multiplus, there is a setting to prioritise solar.

Take a look at this doc.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:solar-and-wind-priority?utm_source=offline&utm_medium=qr&utm_campaign=qr%20code%20products#

2 |3000

pda1 avatar image
pda1 answered ·

Yes, it's a permanent setup (in my basement).

Yes, I updated the Multi to version 506 and all other devices are to date as well.

2 |3000

jestron avatar image
jestron answered ·

Please take a look at the "minimum state of charge". set this to, say 30%, and system will only run on solar, unless emptied below this SOC, of course.

2 |3000