question

charles-prior avatar image
charles-prior asked

60A Circuit Breaker Tripping for Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Charger Isolated

Hi Everyone,

I have connected my Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A to my car battery via a 60A breaker as per manual instructions. Breaker is located near the Orion (not car battery) via 16mm2, cable length is 5m. It works well when car is running idle however 60A circuit breaker trips after about 10-15mins of driving.

I'm wondering if the issue is one of the following;

1. Cheap Circuit Breaker which trips below 60A

I have this 18 Euro one (we fitted the van out in Spain)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B09WKC354D/ref=twister_B0B148JT1T?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Would swapping it out for the below (not cheap!) Circuit Breaker be the likely solution? Would prefer not pay the dough unless it's likely to fix it, I don't know if this brand is more reputable or just more expensive? Any better brands to look for?

https://argonautica.es/blue-sea-187-disyuntor-de-montaje-en-superficie-60a?utm_source=Shoparize&amp

2. Circuit Breaker Location

Breaker is located near the Orion and leisure battery, not near the car battery/alternator. Is this causing a longer than necessary cable run to the breaker and making it more likely to trip?

Cabling is all new and crimp connections are solid, I don't think any loose cables are the issue.

Thanks!
Charlie

chargerorion dc-dcorion smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Both breakers (input side and output side) need to be as close to their respective batteries as possible for correct circuit protection.

Cheap Amazon-brand breakers are known to have issues - whether breaking too soon or, worse, breaking too late. They're typically clones of the Bussmann 187- or 285-series breakers, but unfortunately the cloning is only the external appearance rather than the internal materials, which is what really matters. Certainly replace with a known-good brand as soon as possible (Bussmann -which the "Blue Sea" branded breaker is-, Littelfuse, Mechanical Products, Zeeman).

You might also have a loose connection either in the crimps or the lug attachments; poor connection = heat, and these overcurrent protection devices (OCPD) are thermal-trip so if the OCPD is getting too hot due to poor connections it'll trip. I'd suggest checking all your wiring and connections while you're waiting for the (2) reputable-brand replacement breakers to arrive!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@Charles Prior

Or, use in line midi fuses.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range