question

mableeker avatar image
mableeker asked

Can 2 Multiplusses been parallelled on different phases when AC out 1 and 2 are not used?

I have a 3 phase grid connection, but every phase is limited to 25 Amps. I'd like to paralell 2 Multiplus II's but on one phase that exceeds the 25 Amps. I know that documentation states that parallel's should be on the same phase, but it is not explained why, and I can't make the reason up why.

So my question is, can 2 MP-II's be in parallel but being connected to 2 different phases of the grid. If not, what's the explanation?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
ramatt avatar image
ramatt answered ·

The MultiPlus' AC input is connected directly to it's AC output, so when connected to an AC source the inverter is synchronised to it and the output will have the same voltage, frequency and phase rotation as the phase it is connected to.

The below block diagram should help you understand why this is the case.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mableeker avatar image
mableeker answered ·

Thanks for the reply, I understand that, and that's why I think that 2 MP's in parallel can be on different phases with the AC in, as long as you don't use / connect the AC out.

What do you think about that?

1 comment
2 |3000

ramatt avatar image ramatt commented ·

By definition the inverters are in parallel if they are on the same phase. What you are describing would be a dual phase configuration (sometimes called split phase) which is possible using Victron equipment, however that won't allow you to increase the available power on any one phase.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Are you intending to feed two separate AC circuits, that would only share PE? But also have a common battery bank?

1 comment
2 |3000

mableeker avatar image mableeker commented ·

My intention is to run Dynamic ESS on a parallell system charging/discharging from/to the grid on 2 different phases, only using AC in, and sharing a battery bank. Reason is that the 3rd phase doesn't have more room for a Multiplus, it's used for boilers and heat pump.

0 Likes 0 ·
mableeker avatar image
mableeker answered ·

My intention is to run Dynamic ESS on a parallell system charging/discharging from/to the grid on 2 different phases, only using AC in, and sharing a battery bank. Reason is that the 3rd phase doesn't have more room for a Multiplus, it's used for boilers and heat pump.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mableeker

So you won't be running a not parallel (usually means two inverters on one phase) but a two phase system (120° out not 180°) with a shared battery bank.

2 |3000

banne avatar image
banne answered ·

I have had one, two and now three MP2's not connected together, all standalone to each their own phase. I don't use the AC out connections also. Then its really not a problem at all. Everywhere on the internet is stated that you can have one MP2 on one phase or three on three phases but synced together (two is not possible). Thats the case when you use the AC out options to get 3 phase which must be synced... But for ESS charge/discharge its really not needed to have three. Only thing is that you need 2 or 3 times a MP2 GX to be in control

3 comments
2 |3000

Do you use a shared battery bank? I think that 1 GX would be sufficient?
0 Likes 0 ·
banne avatar image banne mableeker commented ·
No, three separate batterybanks. I wanted to fully control each MP as standalone. Not with one master
0 Likes 0 ·
mableeker avatar image mableeker banne commented ·
I understand that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want 1 GX device, 2 MP's, 1 battery bank, and the MP's on different phases.
0 Likes 0 ·
gijsvm avatar image
gijsvm answered ·

I also have the same question. 2 multiplus with batt connected in parallel and em24 connected to the mains input. Then only use the ac output of 1 multiplus. amultiplus-ii-parallel.png simply drawn in my attached picture

1 comment
2 |3000

It seems nobody knows....now I'm on the track of configuring split phase 120, but can't find a clue that ESS will work with that.
0 Likes 0 ·