question

gmcnair avatar image
gmcnair asked

Grid code selection for Canada

I currently have a Multiplus (CSA/UL version) 3k 120v Inverter, Solar and Battery system in an Off Grid configuration in Canada. I applied to our local utility provider NBPower for their Netmeeting program in my plans to upgrade system with second Inverter and more Panels for 120V split phase grid feed.

In their conditional approval they need a "Canada" Grid Code selection in the programming software. Is a software update coming soon that will address North American Grid codes?

Is there another device that can be added to meet Grid compliance? As far as I know the Victron Autotransformer is not CSA/UL approved and grid compliant.

Local Victron Sales support does not have a answer to this. Without a solution to this it appears the project is dead. Suggestions appreciated.

ESSgrid
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

You can use a Tele NA3 grid protect relay which has all the country codes required world wide to be compliant.

As we had to do this NZ but Victron have had there cerfticates updated now so don't need to use.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Ivan Wagstaff avatar image Ivan Wagstaff Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi Rob,

Are you saying we do not need the grid protection anymore in NZ? I have a quote with it included currently.

Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Ivan Wagstaff commented ·
Hi Ivan

The built in grid protection in the multiplus2 complies now it seems.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 Like 1 ·

That’s great! I can’t seem to find any updated certificates?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Ivan Wagstaff commented ·
I have the certificates on file now, as they are not uploaded to the CEC site yet.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Hey how did you get the carts? Can I find them?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
gmcnair avatar image
gmcnair answered ·

That specific Grid Protection Relay doesn’t have certification for Canada but now I know what to look for. Thanks.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual