question

yotamota avatar image
yotamota asked

setting up the programmable relay 150/85 mppt

So just bought a 150/85 smart solar. I am wanting to setup the relay. I am seeing the settings, i see where it is located. What I am not finding is what voltage will it operate at? I see in the tech spec page that its operates DPST AC rating: 4A up to 240Vac / DC rating: 4A up to 35Vdc, 1A up to 60Vdc. The relay page found in victron connect leaves alot to be desired.

My outback flexmax 80 tells me what voltage its programmable relay will operate at.

What i see is it operates at AC voltage and 2 seperate DC voltages....

I have not found a video explaining this, nor instructions in the manual.

Relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
yotamota avatar image
yotamota answered ·

so after about an hour of searching I believe I found my answer. This programmable relay does not supply the power! It only acts as a switch. Much different than the relay found on the Outback flexmax which supplies 12v, 0.2 amp of power to switch a SSR. No wonder I was confused.

It might be worth stating this in the manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Relays do not provide power. They simply switch on/off an electrical circuit. This may be used for power that you supply.

The specifications should indicate voltage needed to operate the relay and it's power/voltage switching/load ratings. These may be different for AC and DC.

In the the case of relays within Victron equipment, the switching is controlled internally, so no electrical switch control is provided. And they're not intended for heavy loads, simply as control switches. If heavy loads are to be switched, the Victron relays can be used to control a suitable external relay.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic