question

djnapkin avatar image
djnapkin asked

Can't connect to BMV-712 with certain Android devices

Hi,

First of all I am aware of the known android issues, and I have gone through the manual and troubleshooting steps. But my device that SHOULD work, doesn't.

The issue: Can't connect via bluetooth with VictronConnect to certain Android devices. PIN code prompt either doesn't come up, or flashes extremely quickly that there is no chance to put anything in.

Not-Working devices:

MY MAIN CONCERN: Samsung Galaxy S8 - running Android 9 (latest OS update available, screenshot below)

Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) - running Android 5.1.1 (latest available for this tablet) - Can accept if this device won't work.

Working Devices:

Samsung Galaxy S7 - running Android 8.0.0

iPad running iOS9

I used the ipad to update the BMV to v4.01 (screenshot below), but no change. I have rebooted the devices, checked they are not paired in the systems bluetooth settings. Tried pairing them in there (won't connect). Have rebooted the BMV by pulling the plug. Have used the ipad to reset the BMV back to factory settings. All to no avail. I really need to get it to run on the S8 as that's my device, the others I have borrowed for troubleshooting. Anything else for me to try would be very much appreciated.

BMV Battery MonitorVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

I am using my S8 (with same OS version etc.) to connect to my BMV712 without any issues.

Have you made sure that the "Location" option, in the phone's main pull-down menu, is enabled?

Are there any other Bluetooth devices nearby that may be interfering with the Bluetooth comms to the BMV712? E.g. smart-watch, wireless speakers etc.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djnapkin avatar image djnapkin commented ·

Yes location is definately enabled. I am in a location with plenty of Bluetooth devices. Disabling them all probably not possible. The phone works fine with speakers and headsets etc (none of the ones paired to this phone are on when I am trying to connect).

0 Likes 0 ·
nigelfxs avatar image nigelfxs djnapkin commented ·

Maybe check Apps -> VictronConnect -> App Settings and verify the following:

• Notifications is enabled
  • Permissions has Location enabled
0 Likes 0 ·
djnapkin avatar image djnapkin nigelfxs commented ·

Thank you. Both are already enabled in VC app permissions.

0 Likes 0 ·
djnapkin avatar image
djnapkin answered ·

I got it. Turns out it was interference of some kind. I got a chance to have a 'blackout' while everyone was out. So powered off google homes, TVs and Baby monitors that may have been using Bluetooth and it connected. It still took a few goes but one go it gave me enough time to enter the pin and it connected. Have powered on all devices again and I can still reconnect.

Thank you both for your help!

1 comment
2 |3000

Well just to follow up. I now have a SmartSolar 100/20 where my phone is doing the EXACT same thing, although isloating from any interference is not helping. And I have been able to take the MPPT away from ANY wifi or bluetooth interference. Perhaps I just fluked connecting to the BMV that one time. I'm lost of what to do... I guess I'll wait until either my phone or the MPPT received an update that fixes it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I am using the Samsung S9 also on Andriod V9 and all is working fine (my kernal version is different (As expected))

Possible suggestions to try and not in any order, these are just some possible trys thats all

1. restore the S8 to factory default and reinstall everything ( Yes I know last resort and even then who knows if it will work)

2. you do not say in the above, but have you uninstalled and then reinstalled Victron Connect

3. have you tired connecting it being very close to the BMV unit when you connect ie under 1 mtr

4. have you tried a different BMV 712 to see if that works as if it does then its a Bluetooth pairing issue in the Samsung so a factory reset maybe the way to go if you cant fine anything else.

5. after the connection flashes through the pin code selection quickly, does it then show up in the Bluetooth connections ??? if it does try deleting the pairing and then try again.

6. Make sure that nothing else is connected to the BMV via bluetooth as I think you can only connect one device at a time

Sorry I can be of more help here

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for all those tips. I have done 2,3,5 & 6. 4: I don't know anyone else with a BMV. 1: This is also a work phone and resetting it would be super last resort.

0 Likes 0 ·