question

lee-taylor avatar image
lee-taylor asked

Pylontech RT12100G31 firmware update

Not a question as such. Posted in case it helps someone else in the future.....

I have two Pylontech 12VRT12100G31 batteries in parallel and I am running Venus OS version 3.20 on a raspberry pi. I did have an issue initially as I bought the two batteries from different vendors and the battery firmware on the second one was older than the original. Consequently they wouldn't talk to each other. I think the older firmware was v1.3 the current version is v2.1

This wasn't a deal breaker as my can hat on the raspberry pi controlling this had two channels. However I contacted Pylontech support who sent me an update program and the firmware binary file. The batteries come with a spare cable adapter as well as the link cable. I used a length of cat 5 cable and wired this up as ethernet 586B ie orange to pin 2 ground, brown white to pin 7 RS485A and brown to pin 8 RS485B. I used an RS422 to usb adapter like this https://tinyurl.com/52k9xp2s it worked perfectly and now I can connect both batteries in parallel and both show as online.

Pylontechfirmware update
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgeagk avatar image georgeagk commented ·
Hi

I have the same issue any chance you could send the update program and file please.

Thanks george

0 Likes 0 ·
lee-taylor avatar image lee-taylor georgeagk commented ·

I would do George but I am not sure if it breaks the forum rules. It might be easier to contact Pylontech. They are pretty responsive. They sent a link to the utility program and the binary file a couple of days after contacting them.

0 Likes 0 ·
jamesstubberfield avatar image jamesstubberfield lee-taylor commented ·

Hi Lee,

We have contacted Pylon but are still waiting for a reply. Would you be able to share the binaries and update program to <email moderated> ?
That would be great!
Many thanks,
James

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
jamesstubberfield avatar image
jamesstubberfield answered ·

Hi Lee,
Would you be able to share the wiring you used for the adapter that you used to connect to the USB port on your PC? (i.e. the connector in the image)
screenshot-2024-01-17-at-142026.png

I suppose I am looking for confirmation that Orange goes to GND, Brown/White goes to RXD+ and Brown goes to RXD-

Many thanks!
James

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lee-taylor avatar image
lee-taylor answered ·

email sent

3 comments
2 |3000

jamesstubberfield avatar image jamesstubberfield commented ·
I don't seem to have received anything, but thanks for the images below! We are still after the FW binaries and required software, in case your email included them and maybe was rejected as spam. I can be contacted by email via Bimble Solar website, FAO James. Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
lee-taylor avatar image lee-taylor jamesstubberfield commented ·
I did try sending them from a BT email account and they didn't bounce, so I suspect they were filtered out. I will try sending them to the info address for Bimble and to your address. I am actually one of your customers :)
0 Likes 0 ·
jamesstubberfield avatar image jamesstubberfield lee-taylor commented ·
Great! Thanks a lot, Lee :)
0 Likes 0 ·
lee-taylor avatar image
lee-taylor answered ·

img-0222.jpeg

James. This is how I wired mine. Orange to ground but I used blue/white to Rxd-, blue to Rxd+ brown to T/R- and brown/white to T/R+

The 8 pin plug is wired with Cat 5 B wiring so pin 1 white/orange, pin 2 orange, pin 3 green/white etc. Hope that helps. I have sent the binaries by email

img-0222.jpeg (1.4 MiB)
2 |3000

mfr3476 avatar image
mfr3476 answered ·

Hi

I am interested in the firmware because I am having a problem. I can clearly see the batteries connected in series but the Cerbogx displays a voltage of 12v instead of 24v

Thanks for your help

battery.jpg 24v

battery.jpg (67.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
There are no 12V Pylon batteries that are currently on the supported list.

This is a question that really should be sent to pylontech support.

The cerbo only displays what it is sent by the battery.

1 Like 1 ·