question

astro172 avatar image
astro172 asked

Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC as a Power supply

Hello, and thank you for having me in this wonderful community.

TL;DR: I need to Regulate/Stabilize my portable 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 100A BMS Lithium Battery

I have a simple portable battery setup that I built for my out if the field Astrophotography.

My current simple setup is:

• 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 100A BMS Lithium Battery
  • Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor
  • 4x Cigarette Lighter Socket
  • Battery Box

Everything is working just fine. I can monitor the battery via Bluetooth and everything is great.

But I wanted the setup to output 12v all the time instead of 13.8v - 11v. I've been reading and I've come to a conclusion that I need Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated 30A. But I'm not sure how it works exactly in my setup.

First, is this the right item for what I need?

If yes, how do I hook it into my little system?

And when I need to charge the battery at home. Does my home charger goes straight to the Battery/Shunt as usual? or do I need the Orion-Tr to be involved in the mix?

Thank you so much for reading

-Anas

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

If you realy need a high quality industrial DC/DC invetzer, I suggest you to use the Orion-Tr 12/12-20, otherwise I have a very positive long term experience with products from RCNUN (AliExcess).

I run the 24V versions with Output 5/12/13,8/24/48V and 1,5-25A since more then 5 years without any problems. I have more then 40 of them on my Farm installed and not a singel one failed in 5 years.

A reliable alternative fir the Orions.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

astro172 avatar image astro172 commented ·

Thanks,

I found the RCNUN from Aliexpress, I got:
RCNUN DC 8-40V to DC 12V 30A Boost Buck Converter Voltage Stabilizer Regulator.

I ordered two pieces, I'll use both, two lighters socket on each one so the converter will have an easy time doing it's work.

I also got some fuses and 10 AWG wires and a 100A disconnect switch to make everything safe. And in case this thing gets hot I'll install a 80mm 12v fan to cool things down.

Thanks Michelle

-Anas

0 Likes 0 ·
packrat1969 avatar image
packrat1969 answered ·

Anas,

What kind of current draw does your regulated 12v setup require? You may be able to use an off-the-shelf adjustable voltage regulator and just set it for the necessary output. This could be a significantly more cost-effective solution than the Orion. Just make sure to find one that can supply the (total accumulated) current you need, which, I suspect is much less than 30A.

It will probably be far more critical as to what battery charger you select. Make sure you get one that explicitly says it can handle the charge profile for LiFePO4, and does not exceed your battery's maximum charge rate but can completely charge your battery in a reasonable time interval (daytime hours). Generic 12v battery chargers will not be good for your battery.

As for connecting it all to your battery, I would recommend adding a fused busbar arrangement to your battery (positive and negative). I say fused, because that 100A battery is able to vaporize pretty much any type of metal that might short positive to negative. The shunt, charger and regulator would be connected to the appropriate busbars, though the shunt must be the ONLY thing connected to the negative terminal of the battery. The equipment that needs the regulated voltage gets connected to the output of the regulator (the 12v cigarette lighter sockets?). If this does not make sense, then keep asking questions.

packrat

1 comment
2 |3000

Packrat, Thank you for your detailed answer.

The current draw for my setup is no more than 15A (20A at most)

For the charger, I'm using a quality Lithium 10-Step 12.8V 10A Sealed Battery Saving Charger & maintainer.

I am using fuse for each cigarette lighter sockets depending on the type of equipment and its current draw.

So I'm understanding that the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated 30A is just an overkill? or it will not work at all in my case?

Thanks

-Anas

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Ignoring current and voltage differences, there are two types of Orion. Chargers and power supplies. The power supplies will give the constant fixed voltage output. Chargers can be put into power supply mode as well.

Input to all is a DC supply, like a battery.

I guess the lighter sockets are to plug the Orion into.

It's not clear what your power needs are. A fully charged LiFePO4 battery will be over 14V.

It's also not clear what power sources you have for the Orion.

I guess that if you're out in the field, there's a vehicle powering the Orion. You probably don't want to use that at home in case you flatten the starter battery

In that case you're going to need a separate mains charger.

3 comments
2 |3000

Sorry I'm really ignorant in this matter.

I only need a regulator for fixed 12v (or any specific voltage that I chose around 12v)

I don't know if this is called a power supply, a converter, a regulator or a stabilizer.

I don't have a power source. I only have the LiFePO4. no vehicle or anything else. I thought I can get something that can keep my equipment at a constant 12v instead of fluctuating "maybe not the right word" all night between 14.4-11.5v or something.

My equipment uses around 15A (20A at most) the lighter sockets are used for my equipment. I use 3 sockets at the moment, the 4th might be used later for anything I add.

So which product do I need for my setup?

Thanks

-Anas

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ astro172 commented ·
As the battery discharges, the voltage drops. It's why torches are brighter on new batteries.

If you need a fixed voltage, the Orion DC:DC converters will give a fixed voltage until the battery is exhausted. You can set the voltage yourself. Check the datasheets orsnual for the range you can set. You'll need a voltmeter to measure the voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I use the Orion-Tr 24/24-12 to reduce the voltage on my LED outside ligthting because the LED lamps and Stripes go to hell, if the Voltage exceed 27V.

I runn it with around 21-22V and my LEDs live forever and the difference in brightness is non-significant, but I save energy

The VERY NICE THING is, that the Orion-Tr does not complain about the very cold winter climat in Estonia, which can reach from time to time -42°C.

0 Likes 0 ·