question

Ed Jones avatar image
Ed Jones asked

generator auto start modules

For starting/stopping generators that require more than 2-wire start (e.g. Cummins Onan mobile generators) using a Cerbo GX, I usually use the GSCM modules from Atkinson Electronics (https://atkinsonelectronics.com/generator/)

I am looking for something more robust, that can report back to the Cerbo the actual state of the generator and start/stop controller, allow me to remotely reset the controller if necessary, etc. The GSCM is great for the RV and marine crowd, but for more mission critical applications they are limited. For example, it would be nice to know if there was a fault and what caused it that I could check remotely and possibly clear the fault remotely. I could use digital inputs on the Cerbo to capture some of this info, and use another relay to clear a fault, but it's just not robust enough.

Can anyone recommend another product to start/stop generators that require more than just a 2-wire start and that provides more information and remote diagnostic ability in a Victron environment.

Thanks!

generator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
uguraladag avatar image
uguraladag answered ·

By using a relay of Cerbo Gx, you can easily make the generator start/stop automatically by setting the lower and upper values of the battery Soc or the min/Max of the battery voltage, using just one contactor. I did that and the system works great.

Additionally, the Vrm dashboard shows whether the generator is active or not. You can start/stop it whenever you want from the Vrm Dashboard.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ed Jones avatar image Ed Jones commented ·
Of course. That’s how it works when you only have to provide a two wire start and don’t need any external controllers for three or more wires to start. VRM only shows you that the generator is running IF the multi/quattro synchronizes to the AC waveform. For example, what if the engine on the generator starts but the circuit breaker on the genset has tripped. The generator is running, but the Cerbo has no real way of knowing. Just today, one of our commercial customers had their 12kW Onan actually running but the generator was providing a terrible waveform with enough frequency difference between the legs that the Quattros would only accept the waveform once we turned off switch as group. That is why we need a better way to know what is happening a thousand kilometers away.
1 Like 1 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

See the release note about 3.10
There are some supported modules now!

2 |3000