question

simont avatar image
simont asked

DC consumption increases when batteries are charging

When I start charging with my multiplus, my dc load increases without using more dc power. I have a smartshunt installed so dc usage is not calculated. I also have a 2nd shunt that show the exact same. The extra power that’s being consumed is about 100-150 watts

”has dc system” is enabled on my cerbo

Does anyone know where this is coming from?

thanks!

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

This is a very common question. The DC loads are not directly measured but are calculated from all the other information. They are more an indication / approximation than absolute measurement. Therefore, this is where any inaccuracies / estimations in the other measurements shows up. If it is a problem and you need accuracy you will need to install a SmartShunt set up as a "DC Energy Meter" with the sub type " DC System" connected to the Cerbo GX.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simont avatar image simont commented ·
Thanks for the response! It’s not really a problem but to my understanding, this means that the 80a output of the multiplus is actually more like 70-ish as it thinks it’s charging at 80 but the actual current to the battery is lower (hence the increased DC calculated consumption).

I’m going to do some testing if it happens at all the charging amps of if it’s just the highest output.

0 Likes 0 ·