question

georgios-kounis avatar image
georgios-kounis asked

MultiPLusII 12V/3000VA/120A and wind Turbine

Hello all users,

I have a battery system 12.8V-330Ah SmartLiFePO4. The battery is powering a MultiPlusII 12V/3000VA/120A.

The system uses 2 small photovoltaic panels of Victron 12V/175WH connected in parallel to one SmartSolar 100/30. The MPPT is connected to the battery via a Cyrix-Li-charge controlled by a VE.BUS BMS connected to the Inverter MultiplusII. The system also has a Smart BMV-712.

The input to the Cyrix is protected with a 60A fuse.

I want to add a small Wind Generator to my system.

From a research I found locally, a wind generator which refers to 12V/24V and have been informed that its MPPT determines the load automatically when is connected to the battery. It also states that has a magnetic brake which reduce the speed of the gen down to 0 if it sees par example that the panels provide enough voltage to the battery.

If it makes what it promises then I would try the following and need your experience here.

I would run the wind generator with a second fuse from it's MPPT controller to the Cyrix.

I would let the BMS cut the current to my battery when the battery reaches float state.

The generator does not include any load dumper. That worries me, so I would like to know your opinion.

HJL-500C Ανεμογεννήτρια Κάθετου Άξονα 500W-12V και 24V (smart-cover.gr)

Multiplus-IIsmart lithiumwind
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
georgios-kounis answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

This MPPT controller probably break like a PWM Solarcharger by short circuiting the three phases.

However, the controller CAN NOT run WITHOUT A BATTERY connected.

Do NOT put a Fuse or a switch in the wires to the battery.

However, if you use a GX device, you can install a SmartShunt in the MINUS cable of the Windmill and more or less integrate it into your system.

Since you use a LiFePO4 battery, I am not sure, that THIS Wind MPPT charge will work with it. I have the same problem with a 24V 700W windmill and I have put a high power relais with three contacts on the three phases of the windgenerator and control it from a GX relais contact to shortcircuit and break the winmill

2 |3000

Thanks for your answer. In order to charge a Li battery from a WG you need a smart switch to cut power from your WG when your LI battery is full. I was smashing my head to find a solution as I NEED a WG in my project. So the question is that now. If I have a WG and there is enough wind to give 400Wh to another battery system, directly connected with my system through a Datasheet-Orion-Tr-Smart-DC-DC-chargers-isolated-250-400W-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com) this could be the solution. The ORION has limited power from the other battery at 300-350 W, but this battery will always empty its load to my Li battery where my inverter is connected to. On the other hand, both battery are protected by the Orion as long as my WG stops with break when needs to, or has a load dumper. My Li battery over more has its BMS and the Cyrix LI-Charge system connected to the ORION.

Looking forward to having your answers.

2 |3000

Hello support.

I have installed my wind generator and its MPPT charges an AGM battery. Thsi battery is connected thought the ORION to my Cyrix Li Charge device and consequently to the BMS.

When the generator works, I hope to send current both from the panels and the ORION to my Li battery.

Do you think that this setup will work? It means that you have in parallel two sources of power to the Li battery. One from panels and the other from the ORION.

It is a similar scenario to the use of a car alternator which charges the car battery but also through the ORION sends power to the Li battery also when the car is having it engine on.

I do not believe that in mobile application like a car with panels on top and ORION you disable the panels when charging from the ORION during the day.

During night, of course, only the generator could work. My ORION is set on Lithium charger mode.

The scenario was set up like this with the lithium battery, as I wanted to keep my Solar smart MPPT for the project. My main battery is a 12 330A battery, so I can not send directly my Wind generator MPPT to my Li battery.

2 |3000

from-waste-to-wind avatar image
from-waste-to-wind answered ·

Why not feeding the the excess power into the grid when the batteries are full?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic