question

karsten avatar image
karsten asked

(How) Can I temporarily bypass the GX-device which needs to go for repairs?

Setup: MP 2 10', MPPT RS 450/100, CCGX, Battery (Freedom Won 20/16)

Run like an off-grid system (with grid as backup), so no ESS

The CCGX has a memory problem (error #42) and needs to go in for repairs.

But when I unplug the MPPT (and the rest), solar charging stops because the MPPT is set up on EXTERNAL control. I cannot find how to deactivate EXTERNAL control. Or could the MPPT be directly connected with the MP 2, so that the latter takes over control?

CCGX Color Controlmppt rsrestore to factory defaults
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Disconnect the ccgx and then login to the MPPT and reset for stand alone operation. Be sure that the charging parameters are correct.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I would not recommend this.
Switch to grid and wait for the replacement.
Buying some energy is cheaper than damaging the battery.

As far as I know error #42 can't be repaired and you will get a new one (if it is still within the 5 year warranty). Ask your dealer to get a new unit directly.

If the unit is older then 5 years you will have to buy a new one (I would recommed to get a Cerbo or Ekrano instead of the old and slow CCGX).

4 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE So you are recommending not to use solar charging because of not having comms connected? I fail to see the logic here. If conservative charging values are used what is the danger in comparison to the thousands of other systems in service with no comms available? Are you suggesting to also disable charging onboard the MP2? Please help me understand.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ derrick thomas commented ·
I personally(!) would shut down the whole ESS for that few days and switch the system to the grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@Matthias Lange - DE OP is not using ESS. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, I was just curious as to your reasoning. I value other people's input and I'm not afraid to learn new things.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ derrick thomas commented ·
ESS=Energy Storage System

Even if he doesn't use the ESS assistant, his system is an ESS in my opinion.

He can also do what you suggested.

But I would say it also depends on how long it takes to repair/replace the CCGX.

0 Likes 0 ·