question

rockstarr avatar image
rockstarr asked

Wakespeed WS500 and Lynx BMS wiring with 1 alternator system

Hi all,

I have recently setup my sailboat with the Victron setup below and everything is working well.

I am now looking at adding a Wakespeed ws500 external regulator and am having an issue with the alternator (Balmar xt170a) charging the batteries and providing RPM data to the gauge. It would also seem that the WS500 is not receiving power when the engine is running (no LED) but is when in the accessory position. Engine is a Volvo Penta 2003B and all connections have been made as per WS500 manual and alternator field & stator wires.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has integrated a WS500 into a 1 alternator system and that may provide insight on how they wired with the Lynx BMS.

Thanks in advance

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-3KW-2x120VAC-12VDC-400Ah-Li-Lynx-Smart-BMS-Cerbo-GX-touch-generator-MPPT-Orion-Tr-Smarts.pdf

lynx bms
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevin-c avatar image
kevin-c answered ·

On your comment about the Wakepspeed not being powered when the engine is running... It gets power from the "igntion" wire which is ON when you turn it on the start your engine AND should then remain ON until you turn it off (before turning the engine off). Many boats have two steps.. turn ignition on, then press button or turn key further to START. So check your wiring and ignition switch setup.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources