question

davidmc94 avatar image
davidmc94 asked

Does anyone know why won’t my Orion charge my leisure battery?

Hi can someone help me please I’m very new to Victron dc 2 dc chargers and my heads fell off already haha, I’ve got a 12/12 30 non isolated Orion connected to my Mk7 Transit van which has a smart alternator, and the leisure battery I’m using is 110ah AGM battery my Victron app says it’s on Bulk charge however the battery just stays at 12.2v for like an hour of driving and stays on Bulk charge …I don’t know what I’m doing wrong

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

12.2v is about 65% SOC on an AGM battery. If you're actually pushing ~30 amps into the battery over the course of an hour, I would expect that voltage to climb if the battery is healthy.

1694128674675.png

Are you using a shunt to measure voltage and current at your leisure battery? If so, does it show a positive current into your leisure battery? You'll need a shunt to determine what the DC charger is actually pushing into the battery. If the DC Charger is not programmed properly, it could indeed be in bulk mode but be pushing next to nothing into the battery.

1694128674675.png (82.5 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davidmc94 avatar image davidmc94 commented ·
Hi thank you for your reply …I’ll pick a shunt up when I get chance, also how would I know if my charger is programmed correctly?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ davidmc94 commented ·
Follow the battery maker's advice for charger settings. I'd expect that you have set absorption voltage too low. Most AGM batteries need around 14.4V. And 13.7V float.
2 Likes 2 ·
Bob K avatar image Bob K davidmc94 commented ·

To set up the DC Charger correctly, I recommend reviewing the user manual and watching lots of YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=victron+dc+charger+agm

0 Likes 0 ·