question

william avatar image
william asked

Multiplus not equalizing

We have Multiplus 2612431, CCGX 2.20 in an off-grid setup 24 V, with diesel generator backup. CCGX shows menu for starting equalization procedure. The equalization setting in the Multiplus is *not* checked, as in the attached image. I have set the battery type to Rolls (we have Rolls 5000 series), not shown in the image.

The generator is running, started manually for 6 hours, no stop conditions set. Multiplus shows we are in absorption state, battery volts about 28.4 V. I need to equalize the cells so I started the process from the CCGX. Multiplus changes state so that bulk and absorption LEDS are flashing alternately, battery volts quickly falls to about 27.6. I leave the system in this state, assuming that battery volts will rise to eq volts, return in 2 hours to find that the Multiplus shows float state. Specific gravity of cells has not changed.

I thought that in eq mode the cell voltage should rise to minimum of 30 V and remain there for a couple of hours at least.

1. Cell volts didn't rise to eq voltage, so what haven't I done?

2. Should the Multiplus eq checkbox be set?

3. Does the BMV SOC influence the equalization procedure in any way? I had previously (a couple of days before) set the BMV SOC to 100% (ie pressing + and - buttons at the same time) although the cells were obviously not at 100%, sg was too low to confirm this. I did this because BMV was not showing SOC at all and I wanted to get CCGX to log solar data. My intention was to refresh the BMV SOC value after eq had finished, when I would know (measure) that cells were at sg 1.265.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerequalisation
img-0335.jpg (5.8 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

william avatar image william commented ·

Sorry, replace Multiplot with Multiplus of course. Can't see anyway to edit the question.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

I had a similar issue.

2 Things I did:

1) Make sure to start the equalizing after a complete charge cycle, that is, Multiplus is in "Float" state. Batteries should be 100% charged before starting equalizing.

2) Second time I had the issue, it was my VenusGX that had some software "hanging". The command did not produce any effect. Solved by hard reset, i.e., removing power supply for some seconds and booting again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

william avatar image
william answered ·

I wonder how Multiplus detects the float state. Is it from the BMV? If you don't have a BMV, it must rely on a combination of battery volts, how much time spent at absorption volts etc.

Do you have the eq checkbox set on your system?

I'll try resetting the Multiplus. Thanks very much.

2 |3000

Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

No, I have not checked that box in VE.configure. When managed by Venus, it is not needed, at least in version 2.20.

I think it enters Float simply after the absorption time has elapsed. It might be more complicated if you have absortion time interruptions...

2 |3000

william avatar image
william answered ·

I understand, thanks. So it would be good if you could start eq and after absorption time expires, charger would then go into eq mode automatically, not rest in float mode.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think it works that way by design though. Equalisation is something of an "Attended" action or if a remote site then at least a "Conscious" action.

An equalisation phase that starts "at some random time" whenever the weather conditions and loads allow the battery to finish it's absorb phase could lead to problems if someone forgets that they had requested an equalisation cycle.
At least if the battery has reached float, then there is a reasonable chance that there will be enough energy to start an equalisation cycle immediately and have it complete before it gets forgotten about.

2 |3000

william avatar image
william answered ·

@WKirby Understood, thanks.

2 |3000