question

Sebastian avatar image
Sebastian asked

Torque of the clamps / screw connections

Would it be possible to print the torques of the terminals on the Victron Products?
There are some places where I would find it handy to print them out (for example):

• Multi Plus / MPPT RS: on the PCB next to the therminal / bolt, or in the cover next to the schematic.
  • Smart Shunt: next to the top printing (Battery minus / Load minus), or on the lable
  • Lynx Distributor: under the Victron laser marking on the positive bolt holder.

That would be helpful. Especially since, for example, the torques of the M8 bolts of the RS450 (14 Nm) and MultiPlus (12 Nm) are different.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)
Also, I can't find the torque of the PV terminals of the RS450 in the manual.

Multiplus-IISmartShuntmppt rs
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
PV terminals is mentioned in the printed manual

3.5 Cable connection sequence

third:.... 2,4 nm

I think the other side of the two edged sword to the handy dandy printing of the torque is that even less people will read the manual when installing.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sebastian avatar image Sebastian Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Not in mine
Printed: Rev 07 02/2022
Online: Rev 09 - 11/2022 (PDF and HTML)

1 Like 1 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob Sebastian commented ·

Yeah, I'm not seeing the torque in there either. Section 3.5 of the MPPT RS manual currently on the website simply states:

3.5. Cable connection sequence

First: Confirm correct battery polarity, connect the battery.

Second: if required, connect the remote on-off, and programmable relay, and communications cables

Third: Confirm correct PV polarity, and then connect the solar array (if incorrectly connected with reverse polarity, the PV voltage will drop, the controller will heat up but will not charge the the battery).

0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob alaskannoob commented ·
Actually, I just found it in the OLDER printed manual that came with the MPPT. It's in section 3.5 as stated. But that has been removed in the NEWER online manual for whatever reason.
0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob alaskannoob commented ·

And for those wondering, 2.4Nm is either not the correct torque or my torque screwdriver is faulty. I couldn't find any answers to the question asked on this forum about proper torque setting for the PV connections to the MPPT RS except for 2.4Nm. But the older manual hard copy that shipped to us with our MPPT RS had the 2.4Nm in it.

So that's what I set the torque to. It didn't work. It would be great if @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) could address this given the importance of using very high strand PV wire for the connection and getting the connection correct. It seems to me like a specified torque setting should be provided then.

Yet again, in my experience from the last hour, 2.4Nm is not the correct value.

cracked.jpg

1 Like 1 ·
cracked.jpg (245.3 KiB)
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It’s very common to see torque values either printed on, or embossed in the plastic mouldings of MCBs and RCBOs and other components inside consumer units and other electrical enclosures. I agree with the OP here that Victron should ideally follow suit.

I hear what you’re saying about people not reading the manual as much as they should, but I would say having the torque spec right there on the device makes it much more likely that the person wielding the socket/spanner will instead go get the torque wrench, and I think applying the torque spec is more important than where the information came from.

That said, there is nothing to stop the installer or end user from printing their own labels and applying them nearby each terminal. I bought a Brother PT-E550WVP printer for this purpose and it has been very useful. It’s not cheap at £179.99 but can be used around the house generally as well as for electrical installations.

1 Like 1 ·
applied avatar image applied Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Would this still be safe?
1 Like 1 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain applied commented ·
@applied would what still be safe?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

There are various guides available here is a couple I use... (but if stated by the manufacture this value should always be used) but as with anything common sense is a good tool when doing anything.

TorqueValueGuide.doc (norbar.com)

TR knowledge base | Socket Screws tightening torques (trfastenings.com)

Dave.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.