question

craigrob11 avatar image
craigrob11 asked

RPI Screen blanking Recommendations for Venus OS/support

@Kevin Windrem

Looking for some advice trying to set up a 5” touch screen I have successfully managed to install RpiDisplaySetup And also calibrate touchscreen unfortunately, I am unable to dim screen it runs permanently on I have read on https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiDisplaySetup only the RPI touchscreen supports dimming I am currently trying to use a Waveshare 5 HDMI LCD (H) I am unsure if this is a supported touchscreen or if I have set up the RpiDisplaySetup incorrectly

if this isn’t supported, could someone push me in the right direction Don’t particularly want a screen with pi connected to back due to space and screen location

cerbo gxVenus OSRaspberry Pitouchscreendisplay
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

craigrob11 avatar image craigrob11 commented ·

Over the last few days I have tried multiple screens still haven’t yet found a screen which will automatically screen turn off after a set period of time

Question is is this even possible or is it something I’m not setting correctly

Screens tried:

1.waveshare 5” TFT LCD Display B (didn’t work at all)

2. Jun-Saxifragelec 5” E365 B07YCBWRQP (not as responsive no dimming function no automatically screen turn off )

3. Jun-Saxifragelec 5” model unknown (not as responsive no dimming function no automatically screen turn off )

4. waveshare 5” HDMI LCD (H) (responsive screen no dimming function no automatically screen turn off )

5. Waveshare 7” HDMI LCD (H) (responsive screen no dimming function no automatically screen turn off )

6 . waveshare 5” X001NDR86Z (responsive screen dimming function no automatically screen turn off ribbon cable must be attached)

7 . waveshare 5” X001CWHODX (responsive screen dimming function no automatically screen turn off ribbon cable must be attached)

Overall best screen Waveshare 3”/7” HDMI LCD (H) due to it’s additional physical off on buttons, and screen brightness controls.

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament I am currently in any screen recommendations which automatically turns off after set period would be appreciated

0 Likes 0 ·

After hours of messing around I finally figured it out :-) thanks to other peoples posts

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/184638/hdmi-blanking.html

Run RpiDisplaySetup when it asks to add dimming and blanking enter y then /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank

I finally went for the waveshare 5” X001CWHODX as you can change brightness levels too

img-5541.jpeg

img-5542.jpeg

img-5544.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-5541.jpeg (3.2 MiB)
img-5542.jpeg (2.7 MiB)
img-5544.jpeg (2.7 MiB)
img-5546.png (11.4 MiB)
badfrogg avatar image badfrogg craigrob11 commented ·

@craigrob11

Can you help me out a little. I have pretty much the same setup and problem. You said:

"Run RpiDisplaySetup when it asks to add dimming and blanking enter y then /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank"

But I dont understand. "RpiDisplaySetup" is not a command and /RpiDisplaySetup/setup does not prompt me to provide the path. How did you do it exactly..?

0 Likes 0 ·
craigrob11 avatar image craigrob11 badfrogg commented ·

I could possibly help, but I am no expert have you installed setup-helper https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper

0 Likes 0 ·
craigrob11 avatar image craigrob11 badfrogg commented ·

Take a look at this video this helped a lot with setting everything up

https://youtu.be/3KhZvcBjq7M?si=CqTuCU6jRAEqFb6J

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
badfrogg avatar image
badfrogg answered ·

Thanks for that video link.

So /sys/class/graphics/fb1/blank worked for the 5" waveshare display connected to the ribbon cable, is that correct?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

badfrogg avatar image
badfrogg answered ·

Oh, my man! I did it!

I didn't understand that to run the setup script you needed to specify the whole path:

/data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup

And then I was getting hung up on the "Available actions:" menu. It says (i) to install and I was thinking that I already installed so that was not the option to pick.

2 comments
2 |3000

As I learnt, you can run the set up as many times as you would like I run the set-up multiple times have you now sorted it I would love to see some photos of how you’re mounting the screen
0 Likes 0 ·
badfrogg avatar image badfrogg craigrob11 commented ·
Once I get everything mounted I will definitely share. Right now it is just monted to the RPI with the standoffs. I might make a panel to mount it into an equipment rack or maybe a 3D printed pedestal to sit it on top of the rack.
0 Likes 0 ·
badfrogg avatar image
badfrogg answered ·

One odd behavior to report.

After running: /data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup , I loose the CAN Hat (VeCanSetup).

I have to reinstall it every time.

2 |3000