question

fgs-pantera avatar image
fgs-pantera asked

7" Touchscreen Calibration for Raspi running Venus

Hi! I have conected a 7" HDMI touchscren display to my Raspi runing Venus OS, GUIMods / RpiDysplaySetup.

The display is fine, I can see that its responsive to touch but completely uncalibrated, unusable.

The RpiDysplaySetup reedme file says I should run ts_calibrate, which I'm attempting to do from root directory using Putty. Its not working, I suppose I have to disable GUI first.

So I run:

root@raspberrypi2:~# mv /etc/venus/headless.off /etc/venus/headless

And I get:

mv: can't rename '/etc/venus/headless.off': No such file or directory

Its not working. I don't have much programing knowledge. Any suggestion?

Venus OSRaspberry Pidisplay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The problem you are having with the mv command is there is probably no headless.off file.

Some people enable the GUI by using mv /etc/venus/headless to mv /etc/venus/headless.off but actually there's nothing in either of these files. The presence of ...headless simply instructs the gui startup script to skip the local GUI.

All you really need to do to disable the local GUI is to create an empty headless file:

touch /etc/venus/headless

Then when you want to reenable the local GUI use

rm -f /etc/venus/headless

If you have the latest version of RpiDisplaySetup, you can run ts_calibrate from it's setup script.

/data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup

Then select calibrate from the menu and follow the instructions.

RpiDisplaySetup will install ts_calibrate if it isn't on the system before it runs it but your PI needs to be connected to the internet.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image