question

dgorman avatar image
dgorman asked

150/100 MPPT dropping input?

I notice we see these dips while we charge our solar. We have 9x170 and 150/100MPPT and 8x100Ah Battle Born batteries.

MPPT Controllerssolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
section9bateau avatar image
section9bateau answered ·

This looks like the typical behavior of the Battery side reports, please check if the PV Yield shows the same, then there might be an issue.

I have the same behavior with my own site, as I have a refrigerator that cycles every 20 minutes or so on and off. It has identical drops on the battery reports (both voltage and amperage), because I am putting less power to the battery, but the PV Yield remains steady.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dgorman avatar image dgorman commented ·

Here is a bigger picture, I’m going to make sure a tree isn’t shading in the morning vs afternoon sun. No appliances are on.

0 Likes 0 ·
chedrick avatar image
chedrick answered ·

I was understanding that this was the MPPT sweep that the charge Controller does. I believe I read that it does this every 10 min as your showing on the graph.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

This is likely the issue. I have the same 150/100 mppt and a smidgen more pv, but charging 48V. Nowhere near as pronounced, but it occasionally arises where I get 2 or 3 (10 min) downspikes in a row. Surprising to me to see them last so long as to be picked up by VRM per-minute monitoring so regularly, like every 10 min without fail - suggesting each mpp sweep is taking longer than a minute?

Then again, I suppose it's possible that the timing correlation is coincidental..

Maybe the 12V batts is the difference from mine, maybe the panel stringing (I've 9x 195W in 3S/3P configuration).

I don't want to clog the thread with my screenshots, but can provide if asked. Not as spectacularly though.

Had a rethink as to the importance of this. It's probably not, but does 'foul' the vrm graphs. If it's happening every day, perhaps a shutdown of the mppt for 30 sec might misalign the timing. The length of the scans should be detectable from instantaneous readings. If too long, maybe even a fault in the unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

The MPPT has a voltage and amperage limit indeed, but a total wattage of your panels too.

in my opinion, you have too many panels for 1 single controler hence it is disconnecting.

Depending in your battery voltage (12-24-48) the W limit changes but It is still far less than 9Ă—195 ! Check the mppt manual for the correct limit.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual