question

Glenn avatar image
Glenn asked

Mopeka Sensors & Cerbo GX

I've finally found a stable solution for multiple MOPEKA Sensors communicating with my Cerbo GX.

BACKGROUND - I'm using a total of ten (10) Mopeka LPG and Water PRO Sensors. The Universal Sensors are not yet capable of communicating with a Cerbo.

My application is a 46' 5th Wheel RV with all of my Victron Equipment located in a side / forward positioned cargo bay.

Mopeka Sensors are positioned from the front of the RV to about 10' forward of the back of the RV.

I've done a lot of experimenting over about a week to arrive at this solution.

While experimenting with this I experienced all kinds of erratic Sensor "dropouts" and Bluetooth Adapter(s) showing up and dropping off on the Touch Screen.

BASICS - Be certain the Cerbo is updated to the latest Firmware Release.

The USB Port Closest to the HDMI Port is Power only. Use this Port to power the Touch Screen. This leaves to 2 (left most) ports available for Bluetooth Extender(s).

Prior to doing anything, plug touch screen power into the above mentioned port and reboot Cerbo without anything in the 1st 2 USB Ports. Doing this seems to refresh the Cerbo and give it a "baseline".

I wound up using two Bluetooth Adapters. One (details below) is on a 6' extension positioned about 4' from the Cerbo in my forward Cargo Bay where my Victron Equipment is located. It seems to very adequately cover forward positioned Sensors. The second Bluetooth Adapter is on a Powered USB 15' Extension Cable (details below). I positioned this one as far towards the back of the RV as was possible.

EQUIPMENT -

I used two (2) TP-Link UP400(UN) Bluetooth Adapters. These are available on Amazon. Note that on Amazon it doesn't show the (UN) designation but that the designation IS on the unit I received. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V1SZCY6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One (1) (High Quality) USB Extension Cable 6' in length. I used a "Monster" Brand which should be commonly available most anywhere.

One (1) "Mutec Power" powered USB Extension Cable - Available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MC95RXR?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

INSTALATION STEPS -

1 - Move Touch Screen USB to the right most port (closest to the HDMI port). (Nothing in the remaining 2 USB Ports) and REBOOT Cerbo. Give the Cerbo 5 - 10 minutes to stabilize.

2 - Install one Bluetooth Adapter (on the 6' extension) into the 1st USB port. Temporarily locate the adapter several feet from the Cerbo and REBOOT the Cerbo - give the Cerbo 5 - 10 minutes to stabilize.

3 - Install the remaining Bluetooth Adapter on the Powered Extension Cable into the remaining (middle) USB Port and REBOOT the Cerbo - give the Cerbo 5 - 10 minutes to stabilize. I located this BT Adapter as far to the rear of my RV as was possible.

I had to do a lot of experimenting and found that the "REBOOT" steps were critical for success. Once I had both Adapters installed and they stabilized, I experimented with the best locations for the adapters (one forward and one to the rear) to get the best reception.

CONCLUSION -

After a week of almost pulling my hair out and throwing everything in the trash, everything settled in, it stabilized and I have consistent EXCELLENT communication between my Cerbo and all Mopeka LPG and Water PRO Sensors.

I HOPE this helps someone - GOOD LUCK!!

mopeka sensors
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I have my 2 Mopeka sensors communicating with the same TP-Link UP400(UN) Bluetooth Adapters as well as a Ruuvi Tag Pro. The Mopeka signals even work through a 6mm steel bulkhead. This has worked well for over a year now, the only glitch I get is occasionally I loose connection to one of the Mopkeka sensors and if that happens a reboot of the Cerbo sorts it out. This has happened twice as far as I can remember in the past year. This may be useful info if you loose a connection, first response is a reboot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spgtwice avatar image
spgtwice answered ·

thx for the detail. this is a more basic question....if one buys the mopeka pro bt sensors, and then the TP link BT adapters, you hook adapters to cerbo. do you know the settings for setting up the mopeka sensor in the cerbo config screens? any pdfs or instrx on that.? i have had my cerbo for a year, works great, but i havent had BT modules to connect to it.

3 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

@spgtwice The instructions are in Section 5.8 of the Cerbo GX manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-supported-non-victron-products.html#UUID-18d8a141-194d-f582-64ab-268f5072dfad

One other tip is that I found setting the Bluetooth to continuous scanning in the Bluetooth Sensors menu helped keep the Mopeka sensors connected. I do not connect to my Cerbo via wifi but use LAN, continuous scanning on Bluetooth may interfere with wifi.

capture.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
capture.jpg (29.4 KiB)
spgtwice avatar image spgtwice pwfarnell commented ·

Tx so much. I ordered the TPlink , connected it. in the settings->bluetooth, i now see were 'devices'. i dont mean devices like the mopekas but looks like 'radios' ie. the tplink i just bought. with it disconnected, there are only 2 listed. plug it in, i see 3. a) any settings we need to make to the radio, ie stay powered on always? or power ? any settings to make? and b) interesting that there are 2 other 'radios' from what i see on the bluetooth screen. id imagine there would have been only 1 internal. wonder what the other is. ? u have similar? 2 by default and a third when you added your device, or in your case 3 and 4 since i believe you added a pair of TPLink radios. 20240327-155232.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
20240327-155232.jpg (364.3 KiB)
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell spgtwice commented ·
I only added 1 TPlink, I am not the original poster. I did not do anything to activate it once plugged in. The only change I made is referred to above regarding continuous scanning.
0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

That's very useful. I will hook up 2 Mopeka sensors and a longer powered extension USB lead and a USB dongle all already ordered. According to the info here, Victron now supports the mopeka universal sensors.

F.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic