question

bateau avatar image
bateau asked

When battery voltage is too low how do you get the EasyPlus to start charging?

I have almost brand new Rolls 6CS7P batteries. I have old solar panels that I was to replace. I didn’t know the condition of the panels until I install SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 controller. I left the boat in Greece unattended with the SmartSolar connected and putting out about 6 amps. All the other mains were off at the master switches. I left with 570AH in the batteries and could see about 6A going in at full sun max. On return my house batteries are flat. So flat the Victron won’t turn charging on. So I just want to know how to trick the too smart charger to turn on? Do I need a big dumb charger.

battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
570Ah left of 1200Ah and how long did you where away?

A SmartSolar which deliver 6A is normally able to keep the batteries alive if everything is disconnected.

However, as @ostrovni-elektrarny sayed, you can connect the solarpanels directly to the battery bank. You have only to watch out the battery voltage.

I think, it will take hours to get the batteries back online.

P.S.: currently I have not the money to buy two new SmartSolar 250/100-TR VE.Can and have 10 Solarpanels 410W parallel over diodes on my 2940Ah battery without ovetcharging them

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ostrovni-elektrarny avatar image
ostrovni-elektrarny answered ·

Hi ! There is one trick - disconnect PV panel positive wire from mppt controller and connect it directly to positive pole of battery, effectively bypassing mppt controller. Negative pole is normally common, so batteries start charging by small current directly from panels. If you want to have completely safe situation, disconnect battery positive pole from mppt. This process must be under supervision and only last few (tens of) minutes, because panels are on rather high voltage against batteries. But it does not damage them in short time. After they reach minimum workable voltage , return mppt to normal work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.