question

oxy avatar image
oxy asked

One BMV of several disconnecting from the GX

Hello,

I have nine devices connected to Color Control GX:

- 1 x main BMV monitor (for SOC calculations)

- 4 x BMV monitors for monitoring "other" chargers (generator, wind, etc.) - connected through USB hub

- 1 x BMV monitoring an independent 12VDC auxiliary battery pack - connected through VE.Direct

- SmartSolar charger

- Inverter

- Recently connected an auxiliary VE.Can device

I'm relying on "Device List" view where I see all the chargers/consumers in one place. Even before adding the VE.Can device, I have noticed that sometimes one of the BMVs "disappear" (shows up as "Not connected"), but it always came back on its own.

Now with the ninth device added, the BMV for 12VDC (connected through VE.Direct one) sometimes becomes "Not connected" and the only way I can fix that is by physically reconnecting.

Any thoughts? Tips on how to fix this?

Thanks!

BMV Battery MonitorVE.Directgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think you are stretching the GX CPU performance to or beyond the limit.

See the performance section of the document linked below for maximum number of VE.Direct devices for each of the Venus products. Also see note 1 for more information on performance.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oxy avatar image
oxy answered ·

Thanks for the link! Looks relatively new compared to what I was reading when I bought the GX.

Checked the CPU usage. It fluctuates in the range of 29% - 50%, so still OK.

Mem: 187020K used, 59228K free, 1288K shrd, 0K buff, 46068K cached
CPU:  45% usr  25% sys   0% nic  29% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% si
Mem: 187044K used, 59204K free, 1288K shrd, 0K buff, 46060K cached
CPU:  37% usr  14% sys   0% nic  46% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq

I reconnected the misbehaving BMV from the GX side and it has been working since! So, maybe it was just a coincidence and a lose connection after all.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

VE.Direct protocol FAQ