question

radardude avatar image
radardude asked

Quattro 48 15KV AC passthru drawing 1.5 amps with no load

Hi everyone, hoping some will have a solution to the following problem. I have 2 Quattros 48/15kv in parallel configuration. When the system is in passthru mode with output breakers in the off position, I have 1.5 amps of current measured on both input legs of each inverters for total of 3 amps from the grid. I Reconfigured both inverter in stand alone mode with same results. I also restore each inverter to default settings with no change. I also have all the latest firmware installed. My parallel system has separate input & output breaker, and equal wire lengths on input and output wire feeds. GX touch confirm same current reading of 3 amps but only shows 90 watts being consumed. If you multiply 245 volts by 3 amps it should be showing 745 watts. I'm aware of reactive, true, and apparent power scenario but as far as power company is concerned I will be paying for 745 watts per hour. That will cost me $56.00 per month if i was to stay in passthru mode.

I would appreciate any help you can offer!

Thanks,

Daniel

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
phoenix avatar image
phoenix answered ·

3A x 245V = 745VA. As you say you are billed in watts, you need the power factor to calculate watts from VA. I suspect the GX knows the PF so the 90W is what you will be billed.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

radardude avatar image radardude commented ·

If GX is correct showing 90W then PF is .12. I'm not sure of the internal circuitry of the Quattro 15KV but I think that it must have some sort of tank circuit (for preventing loss of power during transfering between grid mode and inverter mode) consisting of the main transformer and a capacitor bank that is drawing the 1.5 amps. That draw would be reactive power which the power meter would ignore that current. Let me know if you think that is what happening here.

0 Likes 0 ·
phoenix avatar image phoenix radardude commented ·
I've just put my MP II into passthrough and my independent power meter is showing 40W/0.62A 0.24pf. I'm running ESS so the GX current varies from -2 to +2A, but 40W.

As a general rule the pf is excellent (>0.9) so I think they have pf correction when both charging and injecting.

0 Likes 0 ·