question

tiagojones avatar image
tiagojones asked

Battery Now Barely Charging

Hello,

My system has been working great the past 2 months of use until 2 days ago. In the middle of the night my power was shut off. I had assumed it was because I ran the Lithium Ion battery bank dry, since I had been using power all day. I was planning on not using any electricity the next day to let my battery charge back up. However, it only charged up less than 10% of the bank. I assumed this was caused by all the smoke in the air from the fires in Canada and thought it would be better today. After around 5 hours of charging it has barely gotten 2%. Ive checked every cable and none of the connections have come undone.

I opened the Victron Connect app and found that my Victron MPPT 100/50 Charge Controller is no longer visible. Looking at the physical unit, the BULK light is solidly on. I would like to believe that it is still functional and didn't break in the middle of the night, it's only the Bluetooth module that broke.

My Victron BMV-700 Battery Monitor is still visible in the app. Here i found that my battery voltage is lower than it was previously. Before running down the battery the voltage would oscillate between 13.2V and about 14V. Now it is struggling to get over 12V. The Battery Charged Voltage is still set to the 13.2V that it was previously.

My battery bank is 2 12V 100AH LiPO4 batteries wired in parallel. Did running down the battery bank somehow damage it? I was under the impression you could do that on Lithium Ion batteries.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Did running down the battery bank somehow damage it? I was under the impression you could do that on Lithium Ion batteries.

What was the minimum battery voltage?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tiagojones avatar image tiagojones commented ·
I can't find the minimum battery voltage for the batteries but the Low-Voltage Disconnect parameter is 10.6V
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 tiagojones commented ·

I would recommend setting that to at least 12V (for 4-cell LiFePO4).

10.6V is dangerously low, especially if there is a cell imbalance (different charging levels) and/or if the cells are not well matched (different cell capacities).

1 Like 1 ·