question

taiger avatar image
taiger asked

Phoenix inverter and Globallink combined

Hello all

I’m currently planning to renew my small of grid equipment but have some questions.
I currently have installed one Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/1200VA (connections: VE.Direct)

I need to update the rest of my current solar panels and charge controller and was leaning towards an SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 (connection: VE.Direct and Bluetooth)
Then I was also thinking, why not add the GlobalLink 520 to the setup (connection: 2 x VE.Direct and Bluetooth) for remote and local monitoring.

Then for monitoring of the battery I was thinking of getting:
Victron Energy SmartShunt 500A/50mV (connection: VE.Direct and Bluetooth)

But then when I was trying to figure out how to connect all this (and get the most out of the system) I started to wondered if the SmartShunt would be needed at all, as the Inverter is the only device drawing current from the battery (except the Smartsolar during night time, neglectable).
Is the Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/1200VA measuring it’s consumption from the 12V side and can it relay this information over VE.Direct to the GlobalLink for use in calculating remaining battery charge(SoC) and similar?
Can the SmartSolar take any advantage of information given by the Phoenix inverter?
Or is the SmartShunt needed (where one can set battery capacity) for calculating hours left on battery?

Is there anything basic that I’m forgetting? The intention of the system is that the SmartSolar should charge the battery and al loading of the battery will go through the 12V inverter. I like to see (at least) how long time it is possible to load the battery at any time. During sunny days when some or all power is coming from the panels or nighttime when everything is taken from the battery. Maybe also how long it would take to charge the battery at current charging rates.

Then a follow up question the GlobalLink have 2 x VE.Direct, after I connect the SmartSolar and the Phoenix inverter all connections are occupied. If the SmartShunt would be needed it needs to go over Bluetooth, I have however read (here in the forum) about people having issues with Bluetooth not being reliable and data missing now and then(all equipment will be within 1m). Is there some possibility to add more VE.Direct peers with some “hub” or similar equipment? Or do I need to change some of my components to get better combability and futureproof my setup if more devices would be needed later on?

The only Victron component I have previously used is the inverter, but have not had the possibility to read anything from the device as I have not had connection possibilities. But that should hopefully change if I get the GlobalLink.

VE.Direct
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taiger avatar image taiger commented ·

Small update, Due to my supplier did not have the Globallink in stock I bought for now only the SmartSolar and the SmartShunt.

I connected the Phoenix inverter directly to the Smartsolar over VE.Direct but I'm not able to get it to show up there.

The SmartShunt I was able to add to the same network as SmartSolar. But that was mainly due to that I was able to separately connect to SmartShunt over bluetooth and add it to the network.

This I'm not able to do with the Inverter as I'm not able to establish a connection to it as I do not have any PC cable.

Is it impossible to add it to network without an VE.Direct cable to PC?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

You might look on the capabilities of a "cerbo gx"

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ivar Eisma avatar image
Ivar Eisma answered ·

In my setup that is almost entirely the same, the inverter does not do many smart things. It only shows if its in fact inverting. But I don't have a Bluetooth inverter, but a simple Victron one connected with a cable. You can however use the Globallink to switch the inverter on and off remotely, very handy.

For me Bluetooth has been very reliable, I could use more cables but it's not needed. 20230528-184146.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources