question

farmeroz avatar image
farmeroz asked

"Off-grid" quattro/battery/mppt add a gridlinked multiplus

The UK has a problem with gridlinking and the suppliers.

As a consequence, with extreme difficulty, I found and installed a 6kW Victron solar and 10kW Quattro/cerbo gx. This is off grid. I would like to ADD a gridlinked 3kW victron inverter-charger to sell to the grid and charge my battery in winter.

Is this possible?

grid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Farmeroz

To control the grid tied one, you will need a second GX to set up charge and discharge to grid and have ESS for that.

I assume you will be sharing the origional bank. So on the origional GX have a DC load set with a shunt. Maybe if you have smart batteries you won't need this.

We cant sell to grid, but do have set ups where the system is offgrid because of bad voltage, the grid inverter is there to charge if need be. So a similar idea, different reasons.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

farmeroz avatar image farmeroz commented ·
My apology for the delay in replying.

Yes, of course you are right. You set me on the right course of thinking, many thanks.

Essentially I should set up the MPPT, Cerbo GX, VE-bus-BMS-V2victron smart Li and the (new gridtied) 3kW Multi as a unit running under ESS. Then I DC power the 10kW Quattro off the battery. The quattro will not be connected to the mains but will power my house.

Following your most useful comment I have read up a bit about the VE-bus-BMS-V2. If I have correctly understood it this BMS will control all the VE-bus devices its connected to by issuing "Charge disconnect" or "Inverter disconnect" to the multies and quattros in the chain (and presumably CerboGX and thus the MPPT). The 3kW Multi should presumably be the 'master'.

So this should work assuming I haven't missed something.

I wonder if Victron Tech could confirm?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic