question

michaeltenerife avatar image
michaeltenerife asked

Multiplus Inverter says low battery and make strange noise

Hi everyone,

Every night this happens randomly: https://youtube.com/shorts/B7zk7XqmhoU and stops again after a while.

What can be the problem?

Thank you

low battery warning
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Hi, you will need to share a bit more info.

Is that a single US2000 powering the inverter?

What loads are running at that time? Any hairdryers, curlers or small appliances that can have their temp/speed adjusted?

What is the battery voltage/current charge chart showing?

What does the AC load output chart show?

Check the min/max cell and the BMS limit (DCL, CCL etc) charts.

What is the quattro config - charger, inverter, general tabs?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michaeltenerife answered ·

Hi Nich,

It is a 3.5kwh pylontech. I believe it is US3000C

Little load. Max 120W

Here a screenshot of the vrm:

screenshot-from-2023-08-18-07-22-00.png

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Please expand the shot with voltages (details option) and go into the advanced section of vrm and screenshot the requested chart info.

You are also welcome to post your inverter config file here.

0 Likes 0 ·

ok, I believe this is it:

screenshot-from-2023-08-18-10-28-53.png

Let me know if that is enough. Thank you for your help.

3 comments
2 |3000

Almost, the voltage chart is showing PV voltage, we need to see battery voltage.

If it isn't in the advanced view. Click on the widget button at the top right, look for battery monitor[512] and select "battery voltage and current" and "BMS charge and discharge limits" and "min/max cell voltage" (if available).

The battery (from the inverter side) is dipping below 49V. VRM isn't very granular so tends to smooth peaks.

Please look to see on your inverter (via VE configure, or remotely download the config file from VRM and post it here) and see what you have set ESS minimums to (if you have the ESS assistant loaded) or what the low-voltage pre-alarm is set to.

It may be that you are triggering this. You have 1 less than the recommended number of batteries for your setup, so it will be more susceptible to voltage drops.

It is worth checking that everything is set according to this doc:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

0 Likes 0 ·
michaeltenerife avatar image michaeltenerife nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I got it:

screenshot-from-2023-08-18-11-39-09.png

Not sure how to get the config file. It is a Multiplus 1 so a friend came at the beginning with an adapter to connect the inverter via ethernet cable to the computer.

screenshot-from-2023-08-18-11-40-02.png

Can't I find this out through the cerbo?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ michaeltenerife commented ·

Go to VRM -> device list -> remote veconfigure.

Should allow you to download a remote file. You will need to zip it and upload here.

Nothing confidential in it, so no need to worry.

On the charts, try zoom in on the specific moment(s) that the alarm has been triggered.

0 Likes 0 ·

VEConfigForInverter.zip

I found it. Thank you for showing me where to find it. Here it is

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

OK, on the inverter tab your DC low voltage prealarm is set too high - 49V instead of 48V which is why it is triggering as the battery is going below this.

You can edit the remote file you downloaded with veconfigure and adjust that setting. Save it then upload it the same way you got it.

This will cause a restart to happen.

In the meanwhile I would not be too worried about it.

If you had the minimum recommended 2 batteries the voltage would be higher.

2 |3000

ok, I managed to get an old windows computer (as VE config don't work on linux, sad...) and opened the file. I changed the "DC input low pre-alarm" to 48V instead of 49V. I imagine that was the only thing I needed to change.

So I will upload it now. I hope I do it right. Thank you

2 |3000

I entered the remote console and I see this message:

screenshot-from-2023-08-18-16-26-07.png

Should I update that? Will it interfere with the changes I just did?

1 comment
2 |3000

You can update that, there is a small chance the system might restart. It won’t affect anything else.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic