question

aayman avatar image
aayman asked

Can I connect 3x MPPT 150/100 24V in Parallel?

I would like to connect a system consisting of 12x 670W Panels (2 in series with 6 in parallel) to 3x MPPT 150/100 24V in Parallel, where each charge controller shall have a (2 panels in series with 2 panels in parallel).
Would there be any problem in the configuration as well as the relatively high current?

charge controller compatibility
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

So you're changing from 2s6p

to 2s2p on one MPPT and using 3 MPPTs?

I dont see any issues assuming you have a sufficiently large battery with high enough C rating to take the peak amps. And of course have sufficiently large bus bars/wires between all devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
aayman avatar image aayman matt1309 commented ·
Thank you. I am connecting them to a battery bank (12X2v OPZ 2v Cell with total capacity of 2800Ah). Will the 3x parallel charge controller organize there charging current accordingly as they will be connected to the same DC Busbar that have the 12 series batteries connected?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You'd be fine as long as the maximum charging current of your battery bank is not exceeded. If you have a GX device (Cerbo, etc) you can use DVCC to set a maximum charging current and the three MPPTs will be throttled to keep the total under the maximum. If not, you'd need to set the maximum charging current of each MPPT to 1/3 the max for the battery bank. This assumes you don't have other charging sources. If you do, then that current needs to be factored in.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

If not, you'd need to set the maximum charging current of each MPPT to 1/3 the max for the battery bank.

Also if all 3 PV arrays are oriented the same. If not (for instance one is oriented towards East, one South and one West), then he can get away with more than 1/3.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic