question

jansen1 avatar image
jansen1 asked

Weeird diagram pattern on battery monitor.

My battery is charging very slow since today. It seems a lot of amps are going missing somewhere. I switched all the devices that uses electricity off but still lose like 5 ah per hour somewhere. The diagram from the battery monitor looks interesting perhaps someone knows what the different pattern means that I experience today.

Thanks for any help!img-2915.png

battery charging
img-2915.png (293.2 KiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai-fuchs avatar image kai-fuchs commented ·

The Chart does not look unusual to me, but if this is normal depends on your installation.
It helps to give more information and share the same SOC chart with Watts instead of Voltage and with amps.

Do you charge via Solar (how much W) or Altenator? What size of battery do you have?

If you charge with Solar you might want to check your charge detection time and Voltage of the Shunt, it seems like you are reaching 100%SOC too fast. With an AGM battery put the charge detection Voltage to 14V and the detection time to something around 40-45 minutes.

0 Likes 0 ·
jansen1 avatar image jansen1 kai-fuchs commented ·

img-2918.pngHi, thanks for your answer. I will attach 3 screenshots of the watts and amps and also my current settings.

The thing is if I go further back in my diagram the lines look always the same but Since last night the line has the same pattern but is much thicker and I am somehow loosing 5 amps somewhere.

Since the last days I was only recharging with a 200watt solar panel connected via a Victron solar charger and it’s currently charging a 90ah lead battery. It seems weeird that I am losing quite a lot of energy and the diagram looking like that but on the other hand I am a complete newbie.

Will try to restart both the solar charger and the battery monitor tonight.

img-2919.png

0 Likes 0 ·
img-2919.png (199.5 KiB)
img-2917.png (251.9 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jansen1 commented ·

The "Charged voltage" (Spannung wenn aufgeladen) is way too low. You should set it to something like 14-14,4V depending on the type of battery you have.

That wrong setting cause that the SOC jumps to early to 100%.

1 Like 1 ·
jansen1 avatar image jansen1 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Ok I will change that. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jansen1 commented ·
The red line is 'thicker' because there are more points on it. After a while, to reduce the amount of space history takes, these points are averaged. So your earlier lines have been averaged, which smooths the lines, but the thicker ones have not, yet, but if you check tomorrow...
0 Likes 0 ·
jansen1 avatar image jansen1 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

good to know. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs answered ·

Hey, you never detected a full charge right, your shunt thought that your Battery is full as soon as you had 12,7V for longer than 3 minutes.

Change it like in the screenshot below, I have a similar system and it works great since several years.

You can do the math, if you charge with 36W = 3A (at 12V) you would need 12h to charge the 40%SOC (36Ah).img-1578.jpeg

img-1578.jpeg (195.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jansen1 avatar image jansen1 commented ·

Thanks Kai, changed the settings like you suggested. Still loosing a lot of amps Sind 2 days but will hopefully find out soon how this is happening all of a sudden.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs answered ·

I'm not sure what you mean by loosing?
Is your Shunt showing that there is a current going out of the battery and you have nothing connected/running? Or is your MPPT showing more Watt/Amps going towards your Battery than the Shunt is seeing? In this case, I would remove all fuses out of my fuse box and check which circuit is drawing the power by connecting the fuses back one by one. You can also check your battery terminals, they should be tight and not hot. Also, check (if you have a relais connecting your leisure battery to the starter battery) that the relais is not permanently closed connecting the batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The graph posted by @Jansen1 is from the BMV. As it's showing state of charge dropping, it means that the BMV is registering the discharge current. (After synch to 100%, SOC is calculated from current and battery capacity not voltage. This continues until the next synch. )

We need to concentrate on loads, the false synch should be sorted.

0 Likes 0 ·