question

e37 avatar image
e37 asked

Integrated BMS does everything?

Can a Super Pack with integrated BMS be used with a shunt? If not, how does one know if the battery is fully charged or low in charge?

I'm a beginner with respect to batteries and to Victron. Purchased a superpack 12v 100ah with integrated BMS and security. I have not used it. Thank you for your input.

BMSSmartShuntSuperPack
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
e37 avatar image
e37 answered ·

I believe I found AN answer after having posted my question. Sorry.

According to the data sheet no additional components are needed. If I understood correctly, the superPack will stop charging and discharging automatically. I am assuming it's 100% fully charged when it stops charging; and 80% discharge when it stops discharging. And one cannot connect it to victron connect app as it doesn't support bluetooth.

So there's norhing to do. It does all the thinking. If I am wrong in anything I've stated, kindly tell me.

Edit:

But I'm still perplexed as to how (without a shunt or monitor) one can know the SuperPack is fully charged; or how much charge is left while connected to an inverter with loads.

I believe this is a critical need that should have some solution. Consider a case of someone charging it with a solar panel, and who needs a fully charged battery. Consider that for some reason the battery cannot be left connected to the solar panel and must be disconnected. When should it be disconnected if there is no indication it's full?

Consider that it is disconnected from the solar panel and connected to an inverter with a load. When should the load be removed appropriately? Is one suppose to remove it only after the battery simply stops discharging?

That's what I need answers for. I thought a shunt could do this with a SuperPack with integrated BMS, but I understand that a shunt can not be connected via the app to said battery.

What can one do to solve this? Can one just try a non-Victron monitor?

I am much obliged for your input.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I'll try to help you as much as I can. If the battery has a built in BMS (Battery Monitoring System) you have a plug and play system where no external smart charge controllers are needed. In other words all charging stages are carried out by the battery's own BMS, not like a typical external device.

That said you can still use a bluetooth SmartShunt to monitor what's going on with the battery. To power the smartshunt itself a small wire is attached to battery's positive terminal. The state of charge, charging/discharging cycles, remaining amp hours, etc. is collected through the battery's negative cable. The shunt doesn't need bluetooth to communicate with the battery. The bluetooth in the shunt is used to communicate with the app on your phone or laptop. During the apps setup you enter a bit of information about the battery like how many amp hours the battery is rated for etc, etc..

I suggest you download the shunt's user manual for more information. It has a wealth of information within. Here is link: https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt

FWIW that's how I monitor the status of my battery. I have the IP65 rated version which means its dust and water proof and doesn't need to be installed in a clean dry place. Hope that helps.

2 |3000