question

tonyf avatar image
tonyf asked

Generator / ShorePower NOT Charging Batteries

Struggling to understand the Victron /Multiplus setup on Airstream RV.

Victron Multiplus 12/3000/12-50 120V
Solar MPPT 100/50

When on shore power batteries read 14.4 volts.
Turn Bus to OFF - still reads 14.4 volts.
Turn Bus to Invert Only.- batteries quickly drop to 8 - 10 volts.

Have been on shore power 50A for 24 hours with 4x100 Lithium Batteries.

I have done firmware upgrades and of course I am unsure of the internal settings as I can only see a subset with Victron Connect aoo and NOT VE Config.

Subset is currently reporting 12V to 14V in absorption charge with +4.5A at the battery. Just unsure of my expectations on how long it would take to charge the batteries - if it will take days.

I am guessing that I have settings that do not allow generator OR shorepower to charge the batteries and they only charge off of the solar panels.

battery chargingmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

when the voltage is at 14.4 then the batteries are indicating that they are full and the inverter charge will stop charging automatically . there are lots of posable reasons, but as a guess I suspect that the batteries have a fault. if thevoltage shows 14 volts at the batteries and then the batteries quickly drop in voltage from 14 to 8 volts

cause maybe bad connection

maybe BMS issue in one or more batteries

battery cables too small

batteries are damaged

sugest that you take it to a tech to determine the cause

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic