question

mer avatar image
mer asked

bmV-712 temperature sensor vs smart battery sensor Pros and Cons

Hi Everyone,

Earlier this year I put in SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 supporting a 220W solar panel, and a BMV-712. this powers two 100 AH AGM house batteries plus 1 AGM 76AH starter battery. the house and starter banks are connected via a blue sea SI-ACR automatic charging relay.

My 12 year old shore power ProNautic 12-20p charger just died and I'm looking at the blue smart IP22 30AMP 3 Bank charger to replace it. In order to get temperature sensing, I understand I can either add a $42 BMV-712 temperature sensor or purchase a stand alone smart battery sense for an extra $10. (prices in Canadian, eh)

So the $10 difference is negligible. Question is:

I know if I use the BMV-712 I give up the option of monitoring my starter battery voltage or the mid point house battery voltage with the BMV-712 - should I care about using these options and which temperature sensing approach would be recommended?

Thanks Everyone!

BMV Battery MonitorSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
susanplaster avatar image
susanplaster answered ·

HY there i can see your post and i must say

bmV-712 Temperature Sensor: The "bmV-712 temperature sensor" is not a standard term or widely recognized product name. Without more context or information about this sensor, it is difficult to provide specific pros and cons. However, in general, temperature sensors are designed to measure and monitor temperature levels in various applications. Some potential pros and cons of temperature sensors might include:

Pros:

• Accurate measurement of temperature.
  • Can be used in various environments and applications.
  • Provides data for temperature-sensitive processes or systems.
  • Can help prevent overheating or freezing issues.

Cons:

• Limited functionality beyond temperature measurement.
  • May require calibration and maintenance over time.
  • May not be suitable for extreme temperature conditions.

Thanks and regards

SusanPlaster

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mer avatar image mer commented ·

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your response. I'm aware of the general pros and cons for temperature sensing. I was looking for specifically feedback on the two different approaches that are available from Victron for my application.

Here is what I meant by the BMV-712 Temperature sensor: https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/temperature-sensor-for-bmv-702

vs the smart battery sense

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/smart-battery-sense

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mer commented ·
@mer

This Susan appears to be an AI generated answer. We get em sometimes and they get banned. As has this one.

For me, the Smart Battery Sense would be the choice. Gives that extra option that you already mentioned, plus another Voltage reading at the battery, which might also help as the mppt can use that.

I find I use all the options I can get. Data greedy I am, but not ashamed.. :)

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources