question

darkfall avatar image
darkfall asked

MPPT RS 450/100 Display corrupted

Morning folks!

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue that I've got and if anyone knows of any solutions.

Since this morning, the display on my MPPT is somewhat corrupt (as you can see in the image I've attached).

This is new from this morning, it was working perfectly fine yesterday, the last I saw it was at around 8 pm, and the display was working fine.

The thing is:

• The MPPT is working perfectly fine. As you can see I had 190W when I took the photo, and it's at 270W now, which is really good for this lovely dark, wet, rainy Dutch summer day!
  • There are no errors in VRM and no errors in remote control via the CerboGX.
  • Thanks to an unbalanced cell in my battery, I did have a frustrating low voltage disconnect last night (at around 8 pm), though that was sorted out and - at the time at least - everything was working fine, the display issues only popped up this morning.
  • It's running the latest firmware.
  • I have tried turning it off and on again, no change.

So question is, has anyone else encountered this sort of problem, and are there any solutions?

photo-2023-08-06-12-08-23.jpg

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarmppt rsdashboard displaydisplay
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jim Ryan avatar image Jim Ryan commented ·
Howdy Darkfall,

I have the exact same problem. One of three brand new MPPT RS units has the corrupted display. Restarting and firmware updated did not resolve the problem.
Can you tell me how you resolved the issue? Did you attempt a 'field service'? I am tempted to search, as Guy suggests, for a loose ribbon cable.....because I am in Costa Rica, and the time and expense of shipping a replacement unit is a problem.
Thank you for reporting this issue.....at least I know I am not the only installer in the world experiencing this problem.
Cheers,
Jim

0 Likes 0 ·
darkfall avatar image darkfall Jim Ryan commented ·
Hi there!

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, it's been a while since I had any free time!

But, incase you've not been able to solve it, I followed Guy Stewart's advice and contacted my dealer. They told me that there was a known issue with that specific model (I've forgotten the exact serial number, but it was a very specific one), so the solution on my end was to RMA it.

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Darkfall,

I'd suggest contacting your dealer with a support request first - https://www.victronenergy.com/support

If it was me, I'd try and troubleshoot if it is a software problem or a hardware problem. Probably the easiest way to do that is with a firmware update.

If the issue is the same after firmware update, I would suspect there might be some loose connection with the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the main board. However accessing that requires opening the unit, and then exposure to deadly voltages - so forbidden except by a qualified repairer.

Safest to leave the troubleshooting to your dealer.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jim Ryan avatar image
Jim Ryan answered ·

Howdy Guy,
As mentioned above, I have the exact same problem with one of my three new MPPT RS units having a corrupted display. Since I am based in Costa Rica, and the unit is installed in a very remote off-grid project's location, the time and expense of doing an RMA is very problematic. I have written to my dealer, who is in Barcelona, a continent away, and I am awaiting his response.
In the meantime, I am very inclined to open the unit to see if indeed a loose ribbon cable is the culprit....and possible easy/quick fix of the problem.
Guy my question is, since I am not an Victron repair center, but because of my location I have a lot of experience doing surgery on inverters.....will my opening the unit impact the customer's warranty coverage? I ask because by attempting to solve one problem I don't wish to create another problem.
Thank you for your attention and guidance.
Jim

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Jim Ryan,

The screen is not essential for the functioning of the unit, so my first advice would be to do nothing, and use VictronConnect for the data instead.

Simply opening the unit has no implication on the warranty. However if something is damaged in the process of opening, then that damage is not covered by warranty.

Victron is a good faith warranty provider, we aren't looking to get out of providing a warranty on a fault on some technicality.

If the unit has a fault that is covered by warranty, we will back it.

If it was damaged in some way that is not covered by warranty, then we will not.

The bigger concern is that the RS products have very dangerous voltages inside. Precautions absolutely need to be taken by a technician when servicing them, as a shock from internal components could be fatal.

So it's never advised by Victron that someone without sufficient training attempts to open one.

I am remote myself, and responsible for repairing everything on my farm. It's the only practical way, so I am sympathetic, but I can't and won't as a Victron employee advise attempting a repair on this product without training.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

That could be a problem with the display module and its controller.

That because in the space of a certain 5x7 character, it's present the mixed information from different cells. This has to do with the internal scan of the display and character memory.

If it was the ribbon, it would appear as different or missing characters, but correctly displayed.

If it's possible, try to change the display module. It could be a standard HD44780 one...

2 |3000

Jim Ryan avatar image
Jim Ryan answered ·

Thank you Guy and Alex.

Alex,
Your comments about the display module versus ribbon cable make perfect sense. Guy or Alex can you tell me how to obtain a display module replacement?

Guy,
As per my e:mail to you, can you offer guidance on how I obtain the 'training' you refer to in order to be authorized to do this MPPT RS repair, as well as to repair (change the power boards) on the multiple Quattro 10k units I have that I am still awaiting replacement power boards for?
If the training will allow me to better serve our customers, ie reduce down time and international shipping expenses, then it would be a benefit to both our customers and Victron for my company to be able to perform these repairs.
I have not found where on Victron's web site this 'training' is offered. Please advise.
Thx,
Jim

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Jim Ryan,

Victron training is organised at a regional level by the Victron sales manager, you can get in touch with the regional sales managers via this page for more information about the options in your area - https://www.victronenergy.com.au/contact

If you are already in direct contact with the Victron Repairs dept they may also have information, but I would start with the sales manager.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jim Ryan avatar image
Jim Ryan answered ·

OK, if indeed the display is a HD44780 LCD display these are readily available from many electronics suppliers. Guy can you confirm if this is the correct display part?
I don't know if the 'controller' for the display is likewise available, or is a Victron proprietary part.....if indeed it needs to be replaced. But if I can at least replace the display then I hope (50% or more) that this solves the problem.
Thank you fellows....
Jim

2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

I can confirm that in my case (Multi RS with the same 450/100) the display is a 4x20 HD44780 compatible module soldered on another PCB for easier ribbon interfacing.

In the same time, I've seen that the ribbon could be routed, in some cases, near components that could induce in the ribbon cable some high frequency perturbations. Those inductions could wreak havoc on the display controller in some situations. Who knows, maybe only routing the ribbon through elsewhere could solve the problem.

But, in the previous message, it's only my opinion, and can be far removed from the truth...

So, if you decide to replace it, and will prove me wrong, please don't hold me responsible...

These been said, you can search google for its part number if you dismantle it.

Here it is my module:

20231204-192255.jpg

20231204-192306.jpg

20231204-192255.jpg (103.6 KiB)
20231204-192306.jpg (67.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Jim Ryan avatar image
Jim Ryan answered ·

Thank you Alex! This is very helpful.
I've written to Victron Repairs, submitted an RMA, and they have already confirmed they will ship me a replacement...see their response below:

Response:

New display pcba for SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100-Tr will be delivered under warranty.

So at least I will have a genuine Victron part for the replacement. Next comes the surgery!
Thank you again!
Jim

2 |3000