question

harrymike2 avatar image
harrymike2 asked

Victron Replacement for AMP-L-START 15 Amp Starting Battery Maintainer

Hi Victron Energy,

I am trying to find a suitable replacement for a AMP-L-START??? see end for AMP-L-Start description.

I have a 2020 Winnebago Navion with 4X 100W Solar Panels, 2X 100aH Battle Born Lithium's (in parallel) and ZAMP Solar Controller, Xantrex Freedom XC 2000W converter and more importantly a Alternator Charging Solenoid (Charge Mate Pro Master Volt) installed by Winnebago. Therefore, I only care about one way trickle charging from the 2X 100aH Battle Born Lithium's to the Mercedes Chassis battery during 2-week to 6-week storage intervals.

The tech at Battle Born suggested the Orion TR Smart 12/12 18Amp DC-to-DC, he said he can help with the settings. What is the best solution if I want to purchase a Victron Product?

AMP-L-START™ is designed to keep your engine starting battery(s) fully charged during long periods of storage or inactivity. Connected
between the house and starting batteries, it diverts up to 15 amps of charging current from your existing house battery charger, sending it to the starting battery(s)
instead.

Thanks - Mike

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Orion chargers will do the job. 18A is probably overkill, you're only going to need a few amps. Ballpark is roughly 4% of your starter battery size. So 4A for a 100Ah battery.

You can also use the Orion power supply range, set the output voltage to the float or storage voltage of the starter battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harrymike2 avatar image
harrymike2 answered ·

Thanks kevgermany, I think the 18A was the smallest DC-to-DC Victron has? Wonder if there are setting to current limit the output Amps?

Thanks again - Mike

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
No current control at all, it is voltage driven, up to its max output.
0 Likes 0 ·