question

rhysgqpatrol avatar image
rhysgqpatrol asked

Victron System Design & Components Required Assistance

Hi all,

I am currently doing a new Electrical Fit out in my Offroad Nissan GQ Patrol ute. (Im from Australia, 240v mains power).

I've had afew different 12v set ups in the past on previous 4WD vehicles but after doing alot of research I've decided I want to run the Auxiliary (Dual Battery system) on 24v (25.6v) for reasons Im sure many of you are aware of (halved current loads, smaller gauge cabling, etc).

In the past Ive used other brands more common in my area but after looking at the Victron products it seems to be far superior with its options & products.

With the Victron range being so extensive I am after some assistance in selecting the right components to make sure I dont order a wrong variation of some of the products.

The canopy fit out will house 1x 200AH 25.6v Victron Lithium Battery & Ill be requiring an inverter to power a small Westinghouse 2 burner induction cooktop (1.8kw burner & a 1.4kw burner), along side 2x small 40L Evakool Fridge Drawers, then just some general lighting, charging outlets & thats more or less the main components I will be powering.

This vehicle will be going off-road / off grid for a maximum of probably 2-3 weeks at a time & I want a system powerful enough that is overkill for surviving that long without 240v AC power.

My GQ patrol crank battery / Alternator is all 12v equipment along with the main electrical components of the car, so ill be requiring a DC-DC charger that has a 12v input but 24v output to charge the 200ah 24v battery.

Ill also require some advice on the ideal solar arrangement, the real estate on my canopy available is 1400mm x 1650mm (one large panel will fit easily).

As for components this is what I think I need but really would like some confirmation before I order all these products that this is the ideal choices for my setup.

Battery: Victron 25.6v 200aH LiFEPO4

DC-DC Charger: Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/24-15A Isolated DC-DC (is this the highest available for 12input 24v output? 15a? or is there a 30a? (cant find).

Solar MPPT Regulator: (Not sure what is best for this set up - please advise).

Brains: Cerbo GX - is this a one model only? are there variants I need to be aware of?

Info Screen: GX Touch 70

Battery Shunt: (which option would be best with this set up? I see Victron has afew options here)

Inverter: as mentioned the largest load Ill have is the 2 burner induction cooktop (1.8kw&1.4kw) and I would like to have the power available to run both burners at the same time, will a 2000w inverter suffice for this or do I need 3000w? Also, which Inverter do I need for a 24v system?

Lynx Distributor - will this item replace the battery shunt? Would this be a good option?

Any advice on a system design & confirmation of parts to to order would be great, I'm not well versed at all in the Victron range, in the past I've used Redarc and Enerdrive but they have alot less options & its very straight forward as far as product selection, I just want to use the Victron equipment as it seems to be superior & alot more versatile in many ways.

Thankyou in advance for your time if you managed to read until this point!

Cheers, Rhys.

offgridcampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Orions - you can have more than one in parallel, but don't overload your alternator.

MPPT - for single panel, go with a 75/X, where you calculate current X as the lowest number in the range that's bigger than the power output of you panels once converted to 24V. E.g. for a 200W panel current will peak around 8-9A. There's a solar calculator on the Victron site, easy to Google. This over panels, which is ok, but you might not want this.

Shunt - With a Cerbo, smart shunt

Cerbo -alternatives are the Cerbo S, Ekrano GX, or if there's still one in stock, the colour control GX. Check the specs. Ekrano does away with the need for a separate screen

Inverter - you probably need a 5kVA model to run both plates simultaneously. Might want to look at battery size, 3kW @24V is about 120A.

Lynx distributor is not a shunt. It's a fused bus bar. There is a lynx shunt, which will replace the smart shunt. But look at the price difference. IMHO it is only worthwhile if you have a lynx power in, plus distributor. Sits neatly in the middle.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic