question

chris-white avatar image
chris-white asked

3 phase ESS installation with 53kw of Solar already installed - 90 kWh storage needed

Hi, I need a solution to the following. I believe that it can be achieved with MultiPlus-IIs but need some help with what else we are going to need. The diagram of what we are looking to achieve is:

3-phase-with-3-inverters.jpg

Right; regarding sizing we have the following:

• 53kw of installed PV with 2 x 3 phase inverters.
  • Overnight loading of about 9kw / hour
  • Peak consumption of about 40kw
  • Daily consumption of about 250 kWh

What I need to know from you experts is what equipment we need to install for the ESS. Size of the MultiPlus-II units, number of batteries and size etc.

Any help would be appreciated. If there are any installers in the East Anglia region, UK would like to get hold of me please drop me a note on here.

Regards, Chris White.

3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Chris White

53kw if you want to capture all the power across three phases assuming equally spread 53/3 = 17.7, as far as I'm aware the largest multiplus ii is 15kva. So you either use 3x 15kva multiplus ii and max out at 45kva across all three phase. (I would go this route unless it's critical for the extra load as this is far simpler)

Or you go the even more complex (and expensive) route of paralleling + three phase (I dont believe anything larger than 5kva multiplus supports parallel running so you'd have to use the 5kva model which would need ie 12 x multiplus ii of 5kva and do 4 in parallel and then in 3 phase. (I can't comment much on that as that is above my understanding).

Depending on your incoming grid connection this may be preferred/worth discussing/mentioning to DNO as I imagine they'll be quite involved in a system this large.

A few things to point out in your diagram is you've noted each single phase battery inverter to have it's own battery. In a Victron system the battery is the same pack/battery. You just have 3 different inverters if that makes sense. So essentially your diagram is correct but you have one battery with each of the three inverters connected to it rather than 3 individual batteries.

For a victron system you may also want to consider rewiring the above diagram so that the house is wired on AC OUT side of the inverters (ie not in parallel with the grid). This way you'll have power if the grid goes down. For systems from other companies you often see they have disconnects/ automatic transfer switches installed just after where your 3 phase grid meter is in the diagram however victron inverters have these built in so you can just wire the "critical loads" ie the stuff you want to stay on during grid outages "after" the victron inverters. (on ACOUT of the inverter rather than ACIN). You may see this refered to as Island mode from other providers and it often requires additional devices whereas it's built in on victron inverters.

You can also move the AC coupled solar to the ACOUT side if you prefer however you do need to consider the factor of 1 rule then. If you leave AC solar on grid side and house on critical load side you may want to consider adding some DC coupled PV just so you're not losing all solar if grid goes down.

ie Grid -> "battery inverter" -> house

Rather than in parallel like in your diagram.

Grid <-> battery inverter

Grid <-> house

In terms of battery sizing it really depends on your aims with the system. If it's to go purely offgrid then you'll need loads min 3 days worth of power at least and likely much more solar. However you may want to go a little smaller and take advantage of cheaper overnight electricity rates if you're not wanting full off grid. This is ideal for the winter rather than oversizing the solar to the extreme you charger batteries partially using cheaper electric and let solar keep you topped off during the day when it's darker in the winter.

If i scaled up my small house battery to 60kwh of inverters I'd say you'll want 250kwh (a days worth), at least. You'd need more than 50kw solar to be fully over grid in the winter I'd say.

Very rough approximation but In the winter I'd say 50kwh would be a good day on an array that size in the winter

I've found solar panels etc is cheaper than the batteries, so you're often better off financially if you up the solar rather than upping the battery as the battery tends to be the pricier part.

PS I'd absolutely love to offer to help complete work on a system this size but unfortunately I'm just a DIYer... Particularly the battery design, I've got designs for a 120kwh battery shelf that I'm dying to build.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chris-white avatar image
chris-white answered ·

@matt1309 Just thought that I would add that this is very much a Grid Tied system and we have only experienced one outage in the last 10 years that we can remember. We transform directly off the 10,000v overhead pylons to the premises. As I said our peak power usage during the day is about 40kw and the Solar inverters are able to cope with that so I don't think we would need more than about 10kw peak out of the batteries at any time. The only things running at night are A/C units on our Cellar which are fairly continuous loading. So we are looking at 10 hours of about 9kw. i.e. 90kWh total. It would be great if we could charge up the batteries at night if they empty or during the winter as we have a dual rate tariff that gives us cheaper electricity at night.

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

@Chris White In that case you can probably go smaller.

For the sake of not making the system insanely complex I'd probably look at 3x15kva models give your A/C units a bit of headroom 3x10kva might be a little close especially on start up.

In terms of batteries I would just get 1 days worth, that way you can charge the batteries up at night in the winter and then use that during the day. In the summer you wont care as you'll be drowning in solar with 50kw peak. Or at least enough battery to cover the non cheap power times. Where I live that would be 5am - 12am.

(Victron system is good for scheduled charging you can specify how much it charges up to so you're not using too much grid and you can fine tune this overtime, for example you can set it up to charge up to 80% SoC during the night as you expect solar to cover the last 20% in the winter for example).

I'd definitely recommend considering wiring the house "after" the inverters so if grid does go down you will stay online even if it is unlikely. If your victron inverters are going to be installed close to incoming grid supply and the house it wont be much additional work/cost to wire them up this way in comparison to the system cost in my opinion, only complication would be if you need changes to earthing arrangemnt but again shouldnt be too much of a headache for an experienced spark. It just gives you that additional feature of having an "off-grid" mode which is a big "nice to have" feature. (And if nothing else it's just kind of cool to have).

It can be a little more expensive to wire it this way if the location you have planed for the victron inverters is not close to the house or incoming grid supply.

As i mentioned im not certified/qualified but happy to help with any questions that i can.

0 Likes 0 ·