question

scmwalk avatar image
scmwalk asked

Autotransfromer to convert 120v to 230v euro

Hello! We have a 230v euro boat and I am having an issue with our shore power coming in between 122v and 130v. This wouldn't ordinarily be an issue, but I use an Isolation Transformer (non-auto) which boosts the voltage by 5% resulting in upwards of 270v (not good). I'm wondering if I can use an Autotransformer to boost the voltage (without the 5% increase) and a galvanic isolator to accomplish the increase, but to more in the 240-260v. range. I have heard of a hack to the Isolation Transformer in which it will DECREASE voltage by 5%, but I'm worried it will reduce too much due to the inconsistent voltage coming from shore power. The Autotransformer seems a better solution as it doesn't adjust. I have spoken to the marina and they claim there is nothing they can do to stabilize the voltage.

Autotransformer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

Yes, you can or insert a Buck Auto-Transformer ( with Selectable Taps ) to what you already have.

The Isolation Transformer should have ( -5%, 1:1 and +5% ) taps for us to select, what we actually need, instead of assuming that we always need BOOST.

Another option is to add a switch that reverses the Isolation Transformer from Boost mode, into Buck mode.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers