question

bonzabuy avatar image
bonzabuy asked

ET112 Energy Meter over Powerline > Cerbo ESS ?

Just wondering if anyone has successfully installed an ET112 Energy Meter, connected to a powerline instead of ethernet?

We have an install where a Cat5 cable may not be able to be fitted where the meter needs to go. I wondered if the transmission through a powerline adapter would work?

(Link to TPLink products https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/powerline/)

cerbo gxESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I stumbled upon this on reddit awhile ago:
RS485 over Powerline. : r/PLC (reddit.com)

I think it means it wouldn't work, and on the off chance it does then it would be out of spec to be called RS485, at least that's what i gathered from that link.

I've personally used RS485 to ethernet adapters to send over LAN and then another one to convert back from LAN (TCP/IP) to RS485 to plug into Cerbo. It's not as reliable as a wire but it's not bad.

Saying that a more popular route at the moment seems to be using shelly energy meter with custom driver added to cerbo. Mean's less conversions between RS485 and LAN. Not sure on the latency of the shelly energy meter though. I supose if you're good at python you could do the same with the RS485 to LAN (TCP/IP) converter. ie just use one of them and write a custom driver to read the data directtly from LAN in cerbo (or even just tweak the custom shelly driver so it reads from RS485 to LAN converter rather than shelly api).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bonzabuy avatar image bonzabuy commented ·

Thank you. If I end up testing & trialling over Powerline I will report back with the results.

0 Likes 0 ·