question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

Why am I seeing panel voltage on the MPPT when the panels are covered?

Hi everyone ... I thought that when I put a tarp over the panels and some weights to hold it in place that I would not measure any PV at the MPPT, however, it's still almost full strength. Am I misunderstanding PV here or is there potentially something wrong? TYIA!

MPPT Controllerssolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bradleyh avatar image
bradleyh answered ·

Without a load it takes surprisingly little light to get a voltage on the panel. Are you measuring the voltage open circuit, or is the voltage being measured by the MPPT? Maybe your tarp isn't opaque enough. You could check the charge current with the tarp on and the system hooked up. You'll probably see a low, but non-zero charging current if the tarp is just letting too much light through. Check the voltage at night and see if it's much lower as you would expect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
thanks @bradleyh ... the tarp is a thick canvas one so i think it should be opaque enough. I'm measuring voltage at the MPPT across the PV terminals. I have normal load on the system. I'll measure the voltage after sunset and see what that says ...
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Disconnect the wires and measure the voltage on the PV and also the MPPT terminals. Open Circuit Voltage with essentially 0 amps is not "full strength". As soon as you apply a load to the PV wire, then you will see the voltage drop towards zero volts.

5 comments
2 |3000

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
thanks @mvas ... I am measuring the voltage across the PV terminals on the MPPT ... is there another way to do it? I have a normal daily load on the system and I thought if I covered the panels then voltage should drop significantly but it's not.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ eyacht commented ·
The MPPT will maintain panel voltage to optimise output. Even if it very low.

Do not disconnect the panels while you have voltage. It will cause arcing, damage connections.

0 Likes 0 ·
eyacht avatar image eyacht kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
hi @kevgermany ... what do you mean by the MPPT will maintain panel voltage? Isn't the PV just the voltage being read at the panels? It's the raw input to the MPPT isn't it? Then the MPPT does it's thing and normalises that (somewhat higher) voltage down to the system voltage. My PV is typically 60V-80V throughout the day and my system is 48V nominal.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ eyacht commented ·

When the MPPT draws a load, voltage at panels drops rapidly. Net result is that in optimising power output, MPPT reduces panel voltage, but not by a huge amount. So think of it in separate parts. A part to maximise power from panels and a part to apply a charge curve to the batteries by dropping the voltage and controlling charge current.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
When the panels are covered with cardboard, there maybe some residual voltage but no current, you certainly can disconnect the PV Array from the MPPT. There will not be any arcing. Step #1 - cover the PV array with cardboard. Step #2 - turn off the PV circuit breaker. Step #3 - Disconnect the PV wires from the MPPT. No arcing, not ever.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual