question

Dave Birch avatar image
Dave Birch asked

Adding a low power Phoenix 12/500 to minimise idle current

I have two Multipleplus 12/3000 inverters in parallel so have plenty of power available. The problem is, the idle draw of these is too high to justify running them for charging mobile phones / laptops, running starlink etc. so I thought I’d add a Phoenix 12/500 for these. I have a few ways I could connect it in:

a) As a separate inverter just to power my 220v outlets (not the galley outlets which would run off the large inverters for toasters/kettles etc).

b) Some how integrated with the 12/3000s. I’ve read about things like UPS mode which I assume would allow the 12/3000s to step in if the 12/500 shut down due to overload, but this doesn’t sound great.

Wondering if there are any other methods that I’m missing. I’d have thought this was a common problem / use case, but I can’t find much in the way of best practices on this forum. Apologies if I’m missing something.

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Go direct from the batteries. You can easily get 3A USB sockets that run off 12V, also pc chargers for car use that run off the lighter socket.

I'm not sure if the Phoenix will synch output with the multiplus. I don't think UPS that way will work either.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

There is AES (Automatic Economy Switch) mode as well. It is a chack box in the settings, then you set the low trigger and the trigger to take it out of AES.

0 Likes 0 ·