question

uenpia avatar image
uenpia asked

GX V3.01 update - Lost Bluetooth sensors

Under I/O, the menu for Bluetooth sensors has disappeared. (I have tried to rebooted again.)

Version 3.00:

bt.jpg

Version 3.01:

bt.jpg

Not that it is used for setting the above, but in the the menu Settings, the Bluetooth menu has also disappeared:

udklip-bt.jpg

udklip-btno.jpg

Reinstalling Ver 3.00 did NOT return the Bluetooth sensors!

Is it a deliberate action or did I just loos my Bluetooth module on that installation. I'm a little cautious to upgrade the rest of my 7 systems!

Bluetooth
bt.jpg (22.4 KiB)
bt.jpg (19.1 KiB)
udklip-bt.jpg (26.6 KiB)
udklip-btno.jpg (25.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
uenpia avatar image
uenpia answered ·

Mounted a LogicLink BT0037 USB-Adaptor (ver 4.0) and the settings for Bluetooth were all back.

Conclusion: I lost the internal Bluetooth module. I hope it's a single incidence.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi; pls see Cerbo GX manual and serial number of your Cerbo.

The hardware up until a certain date has an issue with its Bluetooth radio.

Installing a small Bluetooh USB dongle, like you did, is usually the best solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
uenpia avatar image uenpia mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you for the reply. I have installed many Victron systems, and are fully aware of the temperature problem with the bluetooth module. That's why I have new dongles available. However the dongles do not give the same coverage range as the build in does, due to the antenna seize. Even mounting the dongle on an extension cord (away from the noise of the Cerbo and MPPT's) and turning it for max. signal, is tested (licensed radio amateur since 1979). I did also turn the Cerbo off for an extended time, without luck. But forced cooling for some hours did help :-) Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

What generally happens, is that this is an older model (as documented) which disables the onboard BT when it reaches a temperature threshold.

The upgrade process can be enough to do this, sometimes it will appear again when it cools a bit, but also, newer GX code seems to be a bit more intensive, so if you were near the temp threshold to start, it can just push you over this edge.

This is why, for those models, an external dongle is required for third party BT connectivity.

It is all in the manual as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

uenpia avatar image uenpia commented ·
Thank you for your reply, please see my reply to mvader.
0 Likes 0 ·